IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

parking in London

Options

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    worn_out wrote: »
    This is the view i've been taking but i've got unnerved by comments about this being just a minor infringement and easily rectified, and judges are saying not enough to nullify the contract. I was looking at the Proceeds from Crimes legislation to see if it helped, but there's nothing specific I can rely on.

if it did , then the DVLA would have been shut down ,,,,,,,,,
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »

hahahahaha ... so good, what you on pappa, i want some
  • worn_out
    worn_out Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »

I'm with you on that one !

I was thinking along the lines about profiting from an illegal act, which I think is in the proceeds legislation. There are several cases where 'contracts' were formed , but because an illegal act was implicit the contracts were declared unenforceable...on the basis that you cannot contract based on an illegal action.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm with you on that one !

I was thinking along the lines about profiting from an illegal act, which I think is in the proceeds legislation. There are several cases where 'contracts' were formed , but because an illegal act was implicit the contracts were declared unenforceable...on the basis that you cannot contract based on an illegal action.

NO NO, parking scammers are just low key stuff as is
    a county court. Just concentrate on winning and if it
    goes to court (doubtful), you can claim your costs for a win
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,005 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The LA have written to me stating that they are pursuing LCP for the illegal parking signs. This confirms the signs were in breach of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 S224 (3) .where it states "if any person displays an advertisement in contravention of the regulations he shall be guilty of an offence........".

This should be enough to establish that a 'contract' which relies on the illegal signs is invalid. ?
    Surely it is not open to interpretation by a District Judge.
    Nope.

Neither of the points you made in your opening post would win at a hearing, as a defence. However, when people do get claims on here, we do help them with a decent defence and 99% of fully-assisted people win.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    No permission for signs = no contract
    If LCP are stupid enough to see you in court, let
    the judge do the spanking.

For your pure pleasure, it would be worth telling
    your story to the local press which will let others
    know and if the signs are illegal, refunds are due
    for those who paid
    If you’re assuming ex Turpi is a magic bullet, you can be in for a shock.
    It’s not a strong defence.
  • worn_out
    Options
    Would you say that once you pass the ANPR cameras you have 'agreed' to be bound by the contract terms and thus that is the time the contract started ? I ask this, even though I know the BPA CoP states 'grace periods' should be allowed. For instance, the BPA state 10 mins minimum should be allowed for leaving the car park at the end of the parking period, PLUS time allowed at the start to read the signs. This suggests to me entry through the ANPR is 'conditional acceptance subject to reading the T&Cs'. The contract starts after the initial grace period allowance has passed and ends 10 minutes before exiting through the ANPR cameras. In my case, I was allowed the 10 minutes at the end, but only one minute at the beginning (a total of 11 minutes). While this is not made known to the driver anywhere in the car park it is the BPA CoP..however it took me (the other day) 7 minutes to actually read the copies I have of the T&Cs, the parking conditions and pricing rules. I was in and out in 16 minutes so this might suggest any overstay was not of any significance which the BPA state 'the odd few minutes should not be pursued'.

This is the extract from the BPA CoP

13.2 You should allow the driver a reasonable ‘grace period’in which to decide if they are going to stay or go. If thedriver is on your land without permission you should stillallow them a grace period to read your signs and leavebefore you take enforcement action.
    13.3 You should be prepared to tell us the specific grace periodat a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is.
    13.4 You should allow the driver a reasonable period to leave theprivate car park after the parking contract has ended, beforeyou take enforcement action. If the location is one whereparking is normally permitted, the Grace Period at the endof the parking period should be a minimum of 10 minutes
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,005 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 January 2018 at 2:03AM
    Options
    Would you say that once you pass the ANPR cameras you have 'agreed' to be bound by the contract terms and thus that is the time the contract started ?

Nope. We would not say that. A daft, embarrassingly anti-consumer, unreasonable & unfair argument, spouted by desperate PPCs and their Trade Bodies. It's defendable.

In my case, I was allowed the 10 minutes at the end, but only one minute at the beginning (a total of 11 minutes).
    Same as this case then, only this person has a PE PCN:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5761491

I would not be concerned about defending either case, clearly you need some minutes on arrival and have not agreed to any contract on the threshold of the car park site! And if you are allowed AT LEAST ten minutes to leave, then clearly 11 minutes all told is more than reasonable and indicates the driver cannot have outstayed actual parking time when the 10 minutes 'leaving' grace time is taken off. And never mind the other argument, that the exist camera may not be synched with the entrance timer and/or synched with any separate PDT machine...which would only need to be ONE minute out!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • worn_out
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Nope. We would not say that. A daft, embarrassingly anti-consumer, unreasonable & unfair argument, spouted by desperate PPCs and their Trade Bodies. It's defendable.

Same as this case then, only this person has a PE PCN:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5761491

I would not be concerned about defending either case, clearly you need some minutes on arrival and have not agreed to any contract on the threshold of the car park site! And if you are allowed AT LEAST ten minutes to leave, then clearly 11 minutes all told is more than reasonable and indicates the driver cannot have outstayed actual parking time when the 10 minutes 'leaving' grace time is taken off. And never mind the other argument, that the exist camera may not be synched with the entrance timer and/or synched with any separate PDT machine...which would only need to be ONE minute out!

As the car park signs state ALL parking time is to be paid for...and the BPA advise operator members NOT to advertise the grace periods - then any person 'nipping in' for a quick 5 or 10 minute shop is paying unnecessarily... it's clearly a money making scam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure