Energy supplier scam?

Just got a call from an Indian gentleman with a very thick accent, claiming to be from my new energy supplier. My suspicions were aroused as he called the landline which is only for the business we run from home. However the energy supply is domestic and in my name.
He claimed the meter numbers were wrong.
He knew my supplier name (Avro).
My address
My name.
Just not the fact that the business has nothing to do with the energy bills.
I rang Avro and confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my account and that their call centre was solely UK based (in fact only a few miles away).
I know that there is a common database for energy suppliers to check who is supplying fuel.
Presumably the aim is to commit some fraud by switching the supply.
It makes a change from the Indian scammers claiming that the phone line is supplied by BT (guess again).
Anyone had any similar experience?

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Yep we had this at my workplace a few weeks ago, I almost fell for it :o
    Apparently they already know most of your details and just need you to give them your meter number, and then fraudulently change your supply.
    The scammer who called us knew all our address details, our MPAN number etc, I'd never heard of this type of scam before I googled it and it wouldn't have occurred to me how it could work.
    I had my suspicions so told the Indian call centre guy I would have to call him back and that's when he blew it by getting panicky and saying "no man, nooo! don't hang up!!!" :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure