DFS xmas delivery guarantee

Options
Watching the DFS. Adverts guaranteeing xmas delivery the other night I got to thinking.
What happens if they don't actually deliver b4 xmas , what does the guarantee provide. Is it money back , can you cancel your order.
I contacted 2 departments in DFS to find out and they won't tell me unless I provide an order number. In other words they wont tell me what the guarantee is worth.

Anyone got the answer ?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you ordered online, you'd likely have the right to cancel up to 14 days after delivery anyway (there are exceptions though).

However in general, if parties agree a time for delivery then that is the agreed period of performance. If the other party fail to meet that deadline and either the customer made them aware delivery by that date was important or it should have been obvious from the circumstances then the consumer can treat the contract as at an end. If it wasn't evident from circumstances or stated by the consumer at the time of entering the contract and the trader fails to deliver within the agreed time, the consumer can then specify a further period for delivery and if the trader fails to meet that 2nd period also, then the consumer can treat the contract as at an end.

Treating the contract as at an end would mean them refunding you any amount you had already paid plus potentially being liable for damages.

Of course, this is DFS. So I wouldn't be surprised if they failed to meet the deadline and then tried to tell the consumer they couldn't cancel.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • mossstitchmama
    Options
    My experience with DFS guaranteed Christmas delivery.

Ordered a Tetrad sofa, chair and foot stool on August bank holiday for guaranteed Christmas delivery.

It arrived at 7.30pm on Christmas eve. I ordered two sets of covers. It took nearly 12 Months to get both sets of covers complete and matching.
  • actoplacto
    Options
    I MANAGED TO GET A REPLY.
    BASICALLY THE XMAS DELIVERY GUARANTEE IS NOT WORTH THE PAPER ITS WRITTEN UNLESS YOU GET A WRITTEN PENALTY CLAUSE FROM THE STORE YOU BOUGHT IT FROM WHEN YOU BUY IT.

SEE BELOW

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your e-mail.

If you were to make an order with a guaranteed Xmas delivery it would be delivered by Xmas.

If circumstances prevented this from happening it would be something you would need to discuss with the Store Manager. There are no set procedures in place.

Kind regards

Customer Service Department
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not in the slightest bit surprised. There's often small print that says a guarantee is not a guarantee at all. I am sure if you took them to court, the case would be found against them as the word guarantee is used.., but by then its too late and you could probably have gone to a forest, chopped down the wood needed for the structure and woven the covers yourself (joke just in case someone thinks I am serious).
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I worked for DFS many moons ago and at one Christmas our store (Hove) had three orders we couldn't deliver before Christmas. The first customer was actually glad as their house wasn't ready and for the other two we offered "loan furniture" until their orders had arrived from the continent- most factories shut down for a week or two over the Christmas period so there could have been a longer delay.

Out of the 1000's of items ordered and delivered through Hove it's never been an issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure