MSE News: £10 London T-charge comes in on Monday - what you need to know

Drivers of the most polluting cars in central London will have to shell out an extra £10 a day on top of the congestion charge from Monday....
Read the full story:
'£10 London T-charge comes in on Monday - what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
«1

Replies

  • wymondhamwymondham Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    So how does paying the £10 charge reduce pollution? Is it used to by roadside vacuum cleaners that suck up diesel particulates?
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    And you thought living in London was expensive before? Every delivery will get a £10 delivery surcharge if businesses have their head screwed on
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    unforeseen wrote: »
    And you thought living in London was expensive before? Every delivery will get a £10 delivery surcharge if businesses have their head screwed on

    Why every delivery? Doesn't this charge only apply to vehicles that are relatively old and polluting and Euro 5 and 6 vehicles are not involved?
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's business. If there is a chance to screw a customer they will

    It's not Asif they will look at each delivery and decide that since they are not using a Euro 5 vehicle they need to charge the £10, but that parcel is going out on one is so they don't
  • aleph_0aleph_0 Forumite
    537 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    wymondham wrote: »
    So how does paying the £10 charge reduce pollution? Is it used to by roadside vacuum cleaners that suck up diesel particulates?

    The pollution is reduced through people deciding to use a less polluting vehicle in order to avoid the charge. It should encourage early replacement of high polluting vehicles for business entering central London every day, or for firms with multiple vehicles, they might ensure the less polluting vehicles are used for central London deliveries. It may also result in owners of more polluting private motor vehicles decide to walk, cycle or use public transport for their journey instead.
    unforeseen wrote: »
    It's business. If there is a chance to screw a customer they will

    It's not Asif they will look at each delivery and decide that since they are not using a Euro 5 vehicle they need to charge the £10, but that parcel is going out on one is so they don't

    It's a cost of business, like the congestion charge, which business similarly haven't directly passed on. It's also a competitive advantage - if Firm A passes on the charge, but Firm B uses compliant vehicles, Firm B will be cheaper. I can imagine firms scheduling to prioritise their cleaner vehicles do central London runs, or invest earlier in fleet upgrades.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned these schemes are in disrepute if they charge local people far less.

    Londoners are causing far more of the pollution there than someone who visits once or twice a year.

    Charging visitors 10 times as much for a problem they cause themselves is out of order, and a diversion from taking more effective measures.
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    redux wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned these schemes are in disrepute if they charge local people far less.

    Londoners are causing far more of the pollution there than someone who visits once or twice a year.

    Charging visitors 10 times as much for a problem they cause themselves is out of order, and a diversion from taking more effective measures.

    If you want to pay the reduced rate, move to London.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zerog wrote: »
    If you want to pay the reduced rate, move to London.

    That isn't a solution, and sounds rather closer to the complacent arrogance of these people letting themselves think it's somebody else's fault.

    For most of this country's urban areas, government statistics show pollution is gradually improving.

    Not in London.
  • aleph_0aleph_0 Forumite
    537 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    redux wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned these schemes are in disrepute if they charge local people far less.

    Londoners are causing far more of the pollution there than someone who visits once or twice a year.

    Charging visitors 10 times as much for a problem they cause themselves is out of order, and a diversion from taking more effective measures.

    I agree with your viewpoint that there shouldn't be a resident's discount (on either the Congestion Charge or the T-charge), however, I can understand the reasoning (at least for the CC).

    However, we should not confuse 'residents of the zone" with "londoners". There are 136k residents in the zone, compared with 9m people living in Greater London. The majority of Londoners, as well as commercial vehicles, can't enter the zone without paying.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    26.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it is cheap and easy to have a blanket cut off but I am sure there are some post 2006 cars that are a lot 'dirtier' than other pre 2006 cars. I wish they could use a method that reflects actual pollution levels rather than something arbitrary that may in some cases drive counter-productive behavior. For example those driving a super efficient Audi A2 or Honda insight might end up switching to a much more polluting 2007 petrol or diesel gaz-guzzling 4x4 in order to avoid the charge whilst increasing their pollution by an order of magnitude.
    I think....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides