Question about Etsy.

Options
Wondering if anyone can help me with a question about Etsy. My mother passed away last year and we have some of her clothes. They are dresses, two piece suits and coats about 20 items in total. Most of them are 60's and 70's. We are looking to sell them and looked at Etsy, however I'm not sure if I would be able to as I am not a dealer/business.

Has anyone ever sold anything on Etsy themselves?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,306 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wondering if anyone can help me with a question about Etsy. My mother passed away last year and we have some of her clothes. They are dresses, two piece suits and coats about 20 items in total. Most of them are 60's and 70's. We are looking to sell them and looked at Etsy, however I'm not sure if I would be able to as I am not a dealer/business.

Has anyone ever sold anything on Etsy themselves?

Etsy isn't the first place I'd think of for second had clothes, even vintage ones, it isn't overly cheap to sell and buyers tend to be a bit scarce.

However, anyone can sell, not just businesses and if you try over on the referral board and sign up using someone's referral link (we have all added our links on there) you get 20 free listings to start with.

I'd also be looking at using SHpock or even eBay to see which market works best for you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • in_the_Cotswolds
    Options
    I have had items on Shpock for over a year and they haven't sold. Same with Ebay it is very hit and miss with me, mainly miss! Maybe with these clothes it could be different, I'll give it a try.
  • soolin
    Options
    I have had items on Shpock for over a year and they haven't sold. Same with Ebay it is very hit and miss with me, mainly miss! Maybe with these clothes it could be different, I'll give it a try.

I suspect with 1960s and 1970s clothes the market will be very limited. They don't have the charm of the 1950s which is so popular now, not everyone can pull off a Mary Quant ultra mini or a psychedelic dress.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not selling on ebay? Must be something thats only fit for the bin or your overpricing the stuff.

With such a wide user base of ebay, virtually everything sells at the right price. I remember the out of date pot noodle selling..

Never bought anything from Etsy, I have looked on there several times and its just awash with cheap chinese tat being sold as unique handmade.

Yet go onto ebay ot aliexpress etc and buy a whole bag of them for the same price.

Last Xmas time I wanted a unique necklace, but all i could find were cheap chinese ones made from unknown metal.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• in_the_Cotswolds
    Options
    Not selling on ebay? Must be something thats only fit for the bin or your overpricing the stuff.

I've had a Brando style motorcycle jacket on Ebay worn once as a fashion accessory didn't sell, vintage meccano etc. And it wasn't overpriced, I check to see what others are selling at before I put mine up for sale.

If it's fit for the bin that's where it goes. :D
  • soolin
    Options
    I've had a Brando style motorcycle jacket on Ebay worn once as a fashion accessory didn't sell, vintage meccano etc. And it wasn't overpriced, I check to see what others are selling at before I put mine up for sale.

If it's fit for the bin that's where it goes. :D

The Etsy market is a lot slower that eBay and the fees can be higher so be careful.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with Soolin, Etsy is difficult to sell on and I doubt you'd find buyers for more than the odd item. People tend to look for specific items on Etsy rather than browse looking for anything that catches their eye.
    Apart from a Facebook group (there may be some item specific pages) I'd say Ebay was the best way to sell.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Exactly that for me. I looked on Etsy for a fairly unique item and not finding it i have not been back. That was around this time last year.

Been a while anyway. And when i think of something this year i wont bother with it either.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure