What would make you block a bidder?

Options
I've just blocked someone who sent me a message about 3 minutes ago asking how to upgrade to first class as she needs some of my widgets by 9am Tuesday. :eek:

Yes, a lot of my packets are delivered next day, but sods law it would probably be this one that gets held up in the system. I'm not risking a late delivery mark for a widget that costs 99p. Or any value, tbh.

What are your red flags for blocking buyers? :)

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Odd questions, ridiculous questions, just odd usernames (usually have princess or fairy in the username). Demands.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Odd questions, ridiculous questions, just odd usernames (usually have princess or fairy in the username). Demands.

as above plus anyone that leaves poor feedback for sellers in a high percentage, anyone who takes too long to pay me and has an NPB opened on them, anyone that claims INR and then suddenly finds the parcel when I remind them about the tracking number, anyone that opens a SNAD, anyone who send me messages in text speak or sends 'where my item mate' type emails the day after they purchase.

In fact I'm so grumpy its amazing I allow anyone to bid at all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • walwyn1978
    Options
    People who ask questions with 10 minutes to go on an auction.

People who buy then contact you trying to reverse it (often over a sub-£5 purchase). Genuinely got one once that said the cat has died and s/he was distraught, thus they wanted a refund on the book they'd bought two days before (and I'd posted) as this would not be suitable in their current state.
  • cat04
    cat04 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

:rotfl: My user name has fairy in it. Back in early 2004 when setting up an ebay account none of my usual usernames at the time were available I fell back on the fact I had just played the Greenwood Fairy in my local panto and used this to create a simple username. Never crossed my mind at the time that it was one of 'those' names. I promise I've always been a reliable and non-trouble causing buyer/seller :)

I do have at least 3 princesses on my blocked bidder this though!
    Extra savings aim for 2020 £4,000 £0/£4,000
    Original MF date Feb 2025. Currently Feb 2030:eek: Aiming for Jan 2025 :T
    Mortgage at [STRIKE]10/19 - £47,200[/STRIKE] 11/19 - £46,615
    :heart:My girls keep me going:heart:
  • skeki
    skeki Posts: 9 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I always block those that leave a negative, neutral or unfair comment. Those that message you offering a silly price for your product and anyone that complains of postage costs before buying (mine are fair if not shown as free).
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    People who ask "wotz ur best price m8"

People who ask if they can pay next month.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    All the above.

People who send aggressive messages saying my prices are disgusting`

People who want you to stop the auction or ask why there isn`t a BIN.

People who want to barter and offer you a third of the starting price and they live local to you so they`ll `pop around now and pick it up/ take it off your hands`.
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    -"unlucky" buyers who leave lots of negative feedback
    -People asking if the item would be suitable for very unreasonable purposes, like "I have eight cats will this sofa stand up to being used as a scratching post" or "I plan to use this footstool instead of a wardrobe, will it fit all my clothes?" and then get offended when you say you don't recommend they do that.
    -Unreasonable demands, like "give me £500 off and I want free delivery and free returns if I don't like it"
    -People who get rude after you refuse their offer
    -"Buyers" who are actually other sellers in the same category being deliberately annoying
    -Anyone who tells me how to run my business
    -Anyone attempting fraud or paying with PayPal and insisting we deliver to another address
    -And that one person who did all of the above and then threatened to sue us under the ADA - the "Americans with Disabilities Act"...
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Buyers who only pay at the last minute when a case has been opened for non payment. So they have had 6 days to pay! Definitely blocked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure