non ebay costs

Options
I know we all like a good moan about the costs of selling on ebay but I have an item that ebay will not allow to be sold under their knife policy, but which is legal in the UK. It has a value of about £20, so I checked out my local auction house re selling a few lots.

The costs are 20% on selling price plus VAT on the fee, but also a £4 lotting fee - ouch. Suddenly ebay doesn't look too bad.

I've found another B and M interested in selling it, they suggest a price of around £15-£20 on the hammer and only take commission on a sale of 17 1/2 % inclusive of VAT with no lotting charge, it's a bit of a drive which is going to cost me a bit in petrol, and parking is an additional £3 minimum unless I risk leaving the car on a double yellow. I'm going to get a few lots to make it worthwhile before I go down otherwise I might as well just give the item away.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Lotting charges are ridiculous. A while ago a friend of mine opened an auction house with a partner, they ended up splitting up because the partner wanted to have a lotting charge and my friend didn't.
    My top fee was 15% plus VAT. Looking at how auctions work now I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to go in less and stack a buyers' premium.
    That said, I was in a fairly rough area so might not have accepted your knife anyway!
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've also got a knife for sale, well it's a Leatherman but because it has a knife attachment I can't list it on Ebay.

I'm struggling with how to get rid of it, it'll fetch reasonably good money but I've no idea where I can list it for sale. It's sat in a drawer while I think lol.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tried buying a leatherman from the US, they have them at super bargain prices. But they all wanted stupid shipping costs.

Eventually bought mine from go outdoors on a price match, must say i have not dealt with a company so eager to price match before.
    They found it even cheaper than i did and matched that.

If its a Wave you have i know someone interested.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Mayday
    Mayday Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've also got a knife for sale, well it's a Leatherman but because it has a knife attachment I can't list it on Ebay.

I'm struggling with how to get rid of it, it'll fetch reasonably good money but I've no idea where I can list it for sale. It's sat in a drawer while I think lol.

Have you tried Preloved.co.uk ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport