Feedback as a seller.....

Options
More and more I’m seeing my buyers aren’t leaving feedback and I know the items I sell are great quality, posted really quick and I leave feedback for the buyer...is the feedback system dying?

Is there any point in the feedback system at all if people aren’t going to use it?
No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mamabuddah wrote: »
    More and more I’m seeing my buyers aren’t leaving feedback and I know the items I sell are great quality, posted really quick and I leave feedback for the buyer...is the feedback system dying?

Is there any point in the feedback system at all if people aren’t going to use it?

For the buyer there is no point at all, there is a bit of a benefit for a seller when starting out as good feedback means listing limits can be increased. For long term sellers the only benefit is to increase the percentage and water down any defects.

I suspect it will eventually go like the Amazon system where buyers don't get feedback at all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,860 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    People do use it - just not always. When buying, I certainly look at a seller's feedback and will pick someone else if the feedback has more than a few recent negatives which look as if they have a valid point.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Blame other companies. Everytime I buy something online, I get e-mails asking for feedback on how the company did and a separate one to review the item I brought. Then some of them send reminders. Some websites don't even let you buy anything before they bombard you in pop up surveys about the website.

So its no wonder that people don't leave feedback nowadays. Also remember that no news is good news.
  • soolin
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Blame other companies. Everytime I buy something online, I get e-mails asking for feedback on how the company did and a separate one to review the item I brought. Then some of them send reminders. Some websites don't even let you buy anything before they bombard you in pop up surveys about the website.

So its no wonder that people don't leave feedback nowadays. Also remember that no news is good news.

I completely agree. I certainly suffer from feedback overload, I did a trip booked via Booking.com recently and I had a request for feedback as soon as I booked to rate the ease of booking. Then when I got back I got a request from the hotel, another from Booking.com and also one from Trip advisor all asking for feedback.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a slight aside, if you are a seller on eBay you can't turn off the feedback reminders that eBay send to your buyers, but if you archive the sale, the feedback reminder doesn't happen.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mamabuddah wrote: »
    I expect buyers will still use it if they are not happy. When buying I always check for poor feedback.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    For the buyer there is no point at all, there is a bit of a benefit for a seller when starting out as good feedback means listing limits can be increased. For long term sellers the only benefit is to increase the percentage and water down any defects.

I suspect it will eventually go like the Amazon system where buyers don't get feedback at all.
    I've only been back selling on Ebay for a few months and selling at less than 10% than I do on Amazon. Feedback is down on Ebay but still about 3-4 times Amazon.
    Amazon count all transactions, so if you have 100 transactions, receive 5 feedback and 1 of them is negative, Amazon see the seller as having 99% rating, whereas Ebay would see 80%.
    I'd guess that reviews are the reason feedback is less on Amazon, most customers don't really know the difference between a product review and seller feedback.
    I've heard rumours for a few years that Ebay were planning to get rid or revamp feedback. They probably have too many regular buyers who quite like it.
  • MrsShazbat
    Options
    The other thing I've noticed about feedback on eBay is that it no longer shows the item you've sold so you have to click through to remind yourself what it is you sold a particular buyer, which is annoying.
    SPCNo.17 #20 (16 £678; 15 £1120.92; 14 £416.53; 13 £191.52; 12 £260.48; 11 £480.95; 10 £682.31; 9 £442.64)
  • soolin
    Options
    MrsShazbat wrote: »
    The other thing I've noticed about feedback on eBay is that it no longer shows the item you've sold so you have to click through to remind yourself what it is you sold a particular buyer, which is annoying.

If you are logged in you should be able to see the item you sold, it's only if you view other sellers feedback or your own without being logged in that the item is invisible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure