Been conned?

Options
Ok, so I sold an item to someone. Sent 2nd class large letter.
Stupidly did not get proof of post.

After 1 week buyer contacted me to say it had not turned up so I refunded the £10.
Last night I sent them a message on spec to see if it had eventually turned up and they said that it had! So they now have the item and the refund.

Sent them message saying ok, glad it turned up, how are you intending to pay for the item now?

Have I got any hope of getting this tenner back?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    batg wrote: »
    Ok, so I sold an item to someone. Sent 2nd class large letter.
    Stupidly did not get proof of post.

After 1 week buyer contacted me to say it had not turned up so I refunded the £10.
    Last night I sent them a message on spec to see if it had eventually turned up and they said that it had! So they now have the item and the refund.

Sent them message saying ok, glad it turned up, how are you intending to pay for the item now?

Have I got any hope of getting this tenner back?

Was this done via ebay and paypal and did they open an INR case?

For future reference a week is not really long enough for packages nowadays, they either seem to arrive next day or struggle there after a week, best practice is to get an INR case open on ebay and leave it a couple of days before refunding.

However, what is done is done. Assuming this was paypal and you refunded properly via the original payment and cancelled the sale as well (if not you may well have a defect) then you have their paypal ID and can issue an invoice for the amount. Perhaps send them that and ask if they want to keep the item and pay or return it, if they don't respond then you could try MCOL , but whether it is worth it or not for £10 remains to be seen.

You can also report the buyer to ebay, but it is unlikely to achieve anything.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for that, I just went onto Paypal, got their email addy and sent them an invoice. Not holding my breath!

Now going to check to see if I have left feedback for that transaction, if I haven't will give them 24 hours then will leave factual comment on circumstances
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks for that, I just went onto Paypal, got their email addy and sent them an invoice. Not holding my breath!

Now going to check to see if I have left feedback for that transaction, if I haven't will give them 24 hours then will leave factual comment on circumstances

I'd be careful what you leave, any 'negative' comments even on a positive green dot may get you a slap from ebay.

Have you checked as well to make sure you didn't get a defect for the refund?

Lastly, one trick that is occasionally successful is to request the buyers details- then phone them politely and ask if they have received the invoice or do they want your address for the return. Buyers are often shocked when sellers phone them as it is easier to ignore emails than to ignore a real live person. If the phone number is wrong, reporting them to ebay for having the wrong details listed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,851 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Give them a bit longer. The fact they confirmed the item had been received indicates they are honest, so with luck...
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You haven't been conned, yet.
  • batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    *update*
    They have indeed paid after I sent the invoice

Happy days.
  • burnleymik
    burnleymik Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    *update*
    They have indeed paid after I sent the invoice

Happy days.

If they were going to con you they would have denied ever receiving it.

Nice to know there are some honest folks left out there.
    A smile costs nothing, but gives a lot.
    It enriches those who receive it without making poorer those who give it.
    A smile takes only a moment, but the memory of it can last forever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure