PPI & Card Charges after loosing Job

Hello & good evening,

I know this is the best place for advice of this kind. My partner had a Nat West credit card and had PPI on this...he started off with a £3000 credit card and after 3 months of paying lost his job and let them know but the PPI did not kick in...his debt with them rose to just over £5000

After trying to claim the PPI back he got told no and then just a £5o something pound payment was offered. He called them to decline and to ask for the card charges back and then today we look at his account and they have deposited the £50 after saying they would escalate the complaint further.

Do we leave this? could he get the charges back?

Thank you so much :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What charges is he trying to get back?

For what reason?
  • Cherryjack
    Cherryjack Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello,

Thank you for the reply. He was paying PPI on the card then lost his job and because he couldnt keep to the repayments it escalated to £5000 (charges had been applied) once he got a new job he then paid it all back.

Thank you

CherryJ
  • [Deleted User]
    But what charges is he looking to get back - and for what reason?

PPI premiums? Or does he think other charges were applied incorrectly?

It's not clear what his complaint is about.
  • Cherryjack
    Hello,

Sorry its unclear. Basically he was paying PPI, then when he lost his job this should have kicked in an covered his payments but instead they added late payment charges each month.
    He's not very money savvy so I'm thinking they shouldn't have charged him this and make his debt escalate a further £2000.00.

What do you think?

Thank you :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    But what charges is he looking to get back - and for what reason?
    It sounds as if the OP is expecting to have late payment charges refunded. I doubt he's going to achieve any success.

The £50 credit offered is probably a gesture of goodwill payment....
  • [Deleted User]
    The late payments are correct if he was paying late. He can't get those back.

If he has reason to believe the PPi was mis sold, he can complain about that. What are his mis sale reasons?
  • Cherryjack
    Thank you both, I shall lay this to bed then. My understanding was if you took out PPI and lost your job they would cover the payments. So I couldn't understand why he had all the late payment charges...

Best to know, thanks for taking the time to reply appreciate it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Cherryjack wrote: »
    He was paying PPI on the card then lost his job and because he couldnt keep to the repayments it escalated to £5000 (charges had been applied) once he got a new job he then paid it all back.
    It sounds as if he wasn't unemployed long enough for the PPI policy to pay out. Unfortunately, the time to make a financial hardship plea was when he was still unemployed. I can't see there being any further mileage in trying to get the late payment charges reversed.
  • Cherryjack
    Thank you, you've saved me trying to chase this one up for him
  • Cherryjack wrote: »
    My understanding was if you took out PPI and lost your job they would cover the payments. So I couldn't understand why he had all the late payment charges...
    The PPI would only payout after a qualifying period. Sounds like he wasn't unemployed for long enough.

As I said, he should have made the Bank aware of his difficulties at the time. Too late now.

He could still make a PPI mis-selling complaint, however.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure