Large Electricity Bill

Options

Comments

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, that’s now clear.

I guess that sort of system is really good through the winter, but the downside would be that leaving it on all the time through the summer will give you higher running costs for your shower than an electric shower would. You are keeping a whole tank full of water heated, at a higher temperature and that has to need more electricity than simply heating the smaller volume of water, to shower temperature.

In my house, the shower is by far the biggest use of electricity (someone above mentioned half, and I would go with that). So in your summer set-up I would expect it to be even more.

Sort out your access to real-time consumption figures, then switch off that hot water for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference.
  • alexandrakisdimi
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    Thanks, that’s now clear.

I guess that sort of system is really good through the winter, but the downside would be that leaving it on all the time through the summer will give you higher running costs for your shower than an electric shower would. You are keeping a whole tank full of water heated, at a higher temperature and that has to need more electricity than simply heating the smaller volume of water, to shower temperature.

In my house, the shower is by far the biggest use of electricity (someone above mentioned half, and I would go with that). So in your summer set-up I would expect it to be even more.

Sort out your access to real-time consumption figures, then switch off that hot water for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference.

I totally get what you are saying.

My landlord agreed that the number is way high even with the boiler on. Talking to others with the same system though and us paying twice than they do is strange.

I am going to take my meter monitor and go around the building to check if I can get the signal from my smart meter. And then starting switching off appliances to see what causes it. I will even turn them all off and see if there is any change.
  • Apodemus
    Options
    Just a thought.... I heard a guy on the radio mention he was trying to sort out his gas bill. Turned out that the references on the meters had got mixed up when the properties were built, so he had been paying his neighbours bill and vice versa...for ten years!
  • alexandrakisdimi
    Options
    Summer17 wrote: »
    Reading down you post seem simlier to my flat and thou i think it high i also think i can point a few stuff out that might help as i was in the same situation and solve it myself.

I'm all eletric thou shower is not, the combi boiler in airing cupbored warm up our water.
    The boiler has 2 tank built in one. a big tank (at the bottom) and small tank.
    I have 2 switch one for the big one and one for the small one.
    i was paying 120 a month.
    I turn the big tank off and use the little one. Mean shower hot water only last 5 min but that all we need and take 20 min to warm up again. Use the same for the washing up. Big tank only use when a bath is wanted and turn it on for 1 hour then off when i get in the bath.

This then knock my bill down to 70 quid a month. They even replace the meter think it faulty becasue it was such a drop.
    So if you have a boiler that has 2 tank built in one, turn the big one off. I leave the little one on all day but i can afford too.

As for meter reading surly they can't do that and will demand i see the reading myself.

i live in a small 2 bedroom flat with a child and wife and heating only come on in dec / Jan when it is really cold. the cooker, TV etc warm the flat up and i have to open window still at the moment too hot.

I don't think I have a smaller tank but will look again.

The same applies to us, it is just we are 2 people in a one bedroom apt. Lights on only when eating and cooking. TV on when we are in (3-4 hours on, maybe). The rest of the day is work and sleep.

No fish tanks, no radios, no hi-fi systems, no home cinema, no cable/broadband TV/satelite, No video game systems, no fans, no
    Warm Air Blower Heaters, no electric heaters.

I open my laptop maybe once or twice a week for 10-15 min. We use just the TV and an android box.
  • alexandrakisdimi
    Options
    Well that can happen, but I am assuming that previous tenants would have an issue as well.

I had a maintenance guy change the pump on the boiler when we moved in, I don't know if he did something wrong.

There was a bill left for my landlord till the day we moved, and for 7 days they charged 30£ which now seems odd since my Landlord stayed for 2 days in the flat before we moved in (he doesn't live in the city) and to my knowledge it was empty before.
  • Apodemus
    Options
    Well that can happen, but I am assuming that previous tenants would have an issue as well..

Ah, but you are an MSE type, so you would notice, when they would just pay the bill!
  • alexandrakisdimi
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    Ah, but you are an MSE type, so you would notice, when they would just pay the bill!

I am going to check a couple of previous bills I have at home to see what readings they had and what usage. And then do what I said before. Take the monitor and do my research around the building. I have requested from the management to give me access to the meters as well. Waiting for their reply
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 October 2017 at 12:34PM
    Options
    From what you post, when not on holiday you seem to be averaging g about 25kWh consumption a day. Without heating on that seems a lot similar to 4hours of water heating and two hours of cooking (assuming two 2kW rings and oven on) plus sundries for a short periods each (washer, hot water for washing up, ironing, kettle etc.)

Other domestic equipment (TV, laptop chargers and the like) consume far less.
    You should try and measure your typical use of the high consumption items.
    Also check your tariff 25kWh per day at 15p per kWh is £3.75 per day (plus a small(?) standing charge so say £4 per day.
    That comes to 112 per month or over £330 per quarter.
    So cost is in line (probably) with reported consumption.

Trying to get actual consumption figures with you gadget is a good move as, without space heating, it does seem high. Bear in mind though that if your estimates of use are on the low side it will have a big affect on your bill. It surprises me that you do not have any heating at all on now. Is there heat from the tank warming up the rooms or from cooking etc? You other appliances will only have a minor effect. What temperature are your rooms currently?
  • david1951
    Options
    Tenants are forbidden to access the meters, only authorised personnel.

Pretty sure this isn't allowed (emphasis added):

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1886/regulation/13/made

"(4) No person shall install a meter within a meter compound which is capable of being secured unless the consumer has been provided with a suitably labelled key for that compound."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/part/C/made

"12.(2) No person shall install a meter in any premises unless it is of sound construction adequate to ensure so far as is reasonably practicable that in the event of fire gas is not able to escape in hazardous quantities, save that this paragraph shall not apply to any meter installed in non-domestic premises to which gas is supplied through a readily accessible service valve.

(3) No person shall install a meter in a meter box provided with a lock, unless the consumer has been provided with a key to the lock clearly labelled "Gas Meter Box" in black capital leters on a yellow ground."
  • alexandrakisdimi
    alexandrakisdimi Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2017 at 2:00PM
    Options
    Well your math is correct. It is about 30-40 minutes of cooking. ironing and washing usually done in the weekends.

I can only think of that the water heater has a heat loss and keeps working for 5-6 hours a day. And yes it radiates heat, but the flat is generally warm. maybe 18 degrees. I don't get usually cold, i even sleep with no duvet at night

I have spent my uni years without heating just wearing warm clothes and go on with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure