PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Where to buy a house Leeds or York?

Options
Hello,we are planning to relocate to York,Leeds area and we overwhelmed by choices, don't even know where to start looking.Our budget is k210-230,we would like 3bed detached/semi-detached with reasonable size garden.We have one year old and 2,5 y old schools are very important, would like to live somewhere family friendly with nice high Street (few caffes, decent grocery shop, restaurant) and plenty of green spaces.My husband will work in York city centre but in the future there might be job opportunity in Leeds and looking for a house with good road connections to both,he doesn't mind to comute up to 45 min one way or take a train. I don't drive yet so train station nerby is a must.Would appreciate any suggestions as we are in London and its quite a journey with little ones to organise an viewing, really want to narrow down search area.From what we found out north is nicer than south but more expensive also commuting from north can be a nightmare,we really like Harrogate but seems our budget is too small.
Thank you for any advices.

Comments

• eghamhigh
    Options
    Unfortunately some areas in York are now buy to let properties and filled with students. This makes them very noisy at night when you want to sleep. Not sure about Leeds, the same problem mat exist there
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try the villages - Poppleton - Upper & Nether
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Haxby & Wigginton are nice too.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £230K puts most of York out of your price range. Acomb (particular NE of the A59), Holgate, some of Clifton might be within range, but avoid Foxwood and Tang Hall. A little outside of York the money will go further....for example, Pockington, Wilberfoss, Ricall, Cawood but the first two are to the east of York and the last three are only villages. Tadcaster might be an option too. If you're looking in Leeds, Crossgates would be within budget, and has a station with connections to Leeds and York. It's a bit rough around the edges, but the transport connections are a plus, and it's next to Manston Park.

Personally, on that budget, I'd be trying for the parts of York I've mentioned. Walking distance to the centre, and plenty of green space by the river in Clifton.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Garforth has two train stations that connect easily to Leeds and York, as well as by road. It's a nice area with lots of green space around, good pubs and high street with nice restaurants, cafes, bars and shops. It's a nice quiet, family area. You should get a house of that size within budget too.
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You'll struggle in York on that budget as already said unless you go for an ex LA property. Surrounding areas such as Selby are much cheaper and Leeds is generally cheaper. In terms of ex LA areas in York Tang Hall is full of students, Clifton (area around Kingsway North) and the Bell Farm estate I personally wouldn't live in. Dringhouses (Chaloners Road area) I would and you'll have good access by road to get to Leeds. A significant proportion of the estate at Dringhouses is now owner occupied. Haxby and Strensall are nice villages on the outskirts, Haxby having good links into town and is a really well serviced village in terms of amenities. There is a decent bus service to Leeds that is much cheaper than the train, it's called zap and run by transdev. Also worth looking at Burnhome and Osbaldwick, we have our 3 bed semi in Burnholme sold SSTC at £250k but there are others a bit cheaper. Leeds is a fantastic city if you like big city life, York is quaint and more my cup of tea. Hope this helps. Tadcaster is a nice market town sitting between Leeds and York and is cheaper than York. Beware of flooding in either York, Selby or Tad. It is frequent and can be devastating.I often see "bargains" on Rightmove which on closer inspection are too close for comfort to the Ouse or Wharfe. Hope this helps.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Czogorik2
    Options
    Could you tell us bit more about Clifton,on few websites/forumes people mentioned it as place to avoid in York.Is that because it's estate (don't know, trying to figure out)?If it varies, which areas of Clinton are nicer?
    Thank you
  • Czogorik2
    Options
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    You'll struggle in York on that budget as already said unless you go for an ex LA property. Surrounding areas such as Selby are much cheaper and Leeds is generally cheaper. In terms of ex LA areas in York Tang Hall is full of students, Clifton (area around Kingsway North) and the Bell Farm estate I personally wouldn't live in. Dringhouses (Chaloners Road area) I would and you'll have good access by road to get to Leeds. A significant proportion of the estate at Dringhouses is now owner occupied. Haxby and Strensall are nice villages on the outskirts, Haxby having good links into town and is a really well serviced village in terms of amenities. There is a decent bus service to Leeds that is much cheaper than the train, it's called zap and run by transdev. Also worth looking at Burnhome and Osbaldwick, we have our 3 bed semi in Burnholme sold SSTC at £250k but there are others a bit cheaper. Leeds is a fantastic city if you like big city life, York is quaint and more my cup of tea. Hope this helps. Tadcaster is a nice market town sitting between Leeds and York and is cheaper than York. Beware of flooding in either York, Selby or Tad. It is frequent and can be devastating.I often see "bargains" on Rightmove which on closer inspection are too close for comfort to the Ouse or Wharfe. Hope this helps.
    Thank you for all the information,we feel as we would enjoy York more, and traveling to Leeds few times a month for some events or just to explore new place won't be a problem. Currently it takes us over hour one way to get to work within London:(
    As far as i know there is no train station in Tadcaster,do you happen to know how long does it take to get to either Leeds and York on the bus and if they are running frequently?I have bad experiences with buses, here they are very overcrowded and very often there is no spece for the pushchair.You have to wait for next and next can be exactly the same.
  • Czogorik2
    Options
    Thank you, Garforth is on our shortlist, does it make a difference where in Garforth?Any particular nice areas/streets.Anywhere to avoid?
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The info on the zap bus service is here http://www.cityzap.co.uk/
    the coastliner service is here http://www.yorkbus.co.uk/times and runs through Tadcaster. They introduced the zap to avoid the longer journey times on the coastliner.All the transdev bus services generally run to time (unlike many of the first bus services in York!).
    There are nice parts of Clifton but they will be outside of your budget. To get a decent 3 bed semi with a garden in the decent bits of Clifton/Rawcliffe you'd need to up your budget to £250k plus. There is a new estate going up at Clifton on Water Lane where help to buy is available I think which may help you if you wanted to go down that route. It is right opposite the travellers site which will put some folk off. Options between the two with train links are Ulleskelf, South Millford and Church Fenton. There are a lot of new builds at Church Fenton and more going up. The trains between York and Leeds on a morning are crazy busy in the rush hour. You will get on but may not get a seat (which if you're commuting to London by train you are no doubt familiar with! If you want a well served village community as you describe in your OP I would have a good look at Haxby. The buses are every 15 mins into town. It's the First Bus Service 1 https://www.firstgroup.com/york/plan-journey/timetables/?operator=29&page=1&redirect=no
    Officially in a clique of idiots
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport