PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

If I pay cash for a freehold terrace house do I legally need buildings insurance?

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How much will buildings insurance be?
    How much is the possible payout if something goes very wrong?

Sounds like good value to me.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karljt2013 wrote: »
    I believe the odds are massively in my favour of nothing going catastrophically wrong.
    They are - that's why buildings insurance is very cheap. Can you afford to rebuild your house (and your neighbours') if something disastrous did happen?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Why though? I don't have kids, Am not an alcoholic who could leave the gas on in a drunken stupor, and I believe the odds are massively in my favour of nothing going catastrophically wrong.

What if your neighbours leave the gas on or start a fire that spreads?

What if a bus crashes into the front of your house?

What if you flood in freak conditions even though you aren't on a flood plain and its never happened before?

What if a slow leak that you don't realise is there causes your whole kitchen ceiling to come down?

All unlikely, but they have all happened to people I know (all different people not one unlucky family!)

You can take the risk, but its not one most people would be comfortable with, and the consequences if you bet wrong would be much worse than paying about £100 a year for the peace of mind.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 October 2017 at 12:01AM
    Options
    Why though? I don't have kids, Am not an alcoholic who could leave the gas on in a drunken stupor, and I believe the odds are massively in my favour of nothing going catastrophically wrong.
    I believed much the same, but someone else set fire to my house, causing £100k worth of damage and rendering it uninhabitable for 6 months. Bit of a blow to come home to, but I was able to house us and start sorting it all out the next day.

If you are wealthy enough to cope with such an emergency, then you might not need insurance, but people who are that rich wouldn't normally question the modest cost of insurance!
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 8:26AM
    Options
    The fact that insurance companies make profit means that the mathematical EXPECTATION is you'll be worse off ie.
    payout * probability something goes wrong < total premiums paid

The point of insurance however, is to remove the variance of this. In general, assuming you're equally likely to lose/break something as the average person
    - if you can afford to replace it -> don't get insurance, just maintain savings
    - if you can't afford to replace it -> do get insurance

So for example if you can afford to replace your mobile phone and aren't particularly clumsy/forgetful, there's no point insuring it. With house insurance, you're very likely to never claim but you're paying for the security of not having the variance that if something did happen, you wouldn't lose your home and be unable to get another easily (even if that's renting).

So after that waffle, my point is
    OP- it isn't a legal requirement, but don't focus just on how likely you are to burn the house down etc as there are other outside factors particularly for a terraced house e.g. neighbours. The decider should be can you afford to buy another house / sort out other accommodation if something did go wrong?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Mardle
    Mardle Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As Slinky said 'you can't control what other people do'.

We had to claim on insurance 2 years ago when the local 'little dears' decided it was a good idea to play 'cricket' with gravel and pieces of wood they'd broken off a neighbours fence. They broke a large pane of glass in our bay window.

Last year we paid almost £1000 to have our front garden wall replaced by railings because we were fed up of the 'little dears' sitting on it smoking, swearing & generally being a nuisance. Last month this happened https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH4pqRzdpHc&feature=youtu.be The driver wasn't aware that he'd hit the railings. They've been pulled away from the wall and can't be straightened. Without the CCTV we wouldn't have known who was responsible and would have had to claim on insurance. Thankfully the company is paying for their replacement.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2017 at 10:48AM
    Options
    The Grenfell House fire started with a neighbour’s faulty appliance.
    My wife’s flat burnt down when her Indesit washing machine burst into flames when she was out (it was switched off).

Housing and contents insurance can be as low as £120 a year. Insurance works because the people who don’t claim pay for the people that do. 100,000 people all putting a tenner in a pot every month to pay for the 5% who claim (and who might claim hundreds of thousands) is a good deal. Phone insurance on the other hand, maybe not
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't need it. However get it. It's not expensive.

Our close friend owned a house which had to be knocked down due to a gas explosion caused by a neighbour (it was in the news, a child died - not the friends child). He owned the house outright so didn't have insurance. He now has no house and just a piece of land where a terrace house used to be and no way to rebuild it. The neighbour also didn't have insurance, so no way of claiming the money from them.
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Have we managed to convince you that you really should have insurance??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure