Essa reassesments

People in the support group of Essa, will after next assessment..if they have a life long disability will no longer have to be retested. Good news Now let's have it for PIP This will come at some relief for lot's of people.

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,945
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i have a genetic condition that cannot improve, yet have no is with being re`assessed every 3 years. i think that anyoe reliant on public funds should be acoutable
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 October 2017 at 4:29PM
    elle_may wrote: »
    People in the support group of Essa, will after next assessment..if they have a life long disability will no longer have to be retested. Good news Now let's have it for PIP This will come at some relief for lot's of people.

No certain people with life long conditions with no prospects of ever working, list of conditions yet to be published, will be excluded from reassessment.

It will probably be those with severe learning disabilities, severe autism etc rather than everyone with a lifelong condition.

Lots of people with life long conditions can and do work. There are plenty of jobs people with disabilities can do, desk work, call centres etc They will be reassessed.

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2017/september/changes-work-capability-assessment-reassessment-criteria
  • I have a life-long condition..no prospect of working again (although in the past I worked full-time).

My ESA is 'ongoing'....and my recent PiP award is 'ongoing' (with a recommendation that my claim need not be re-examined for 10 years...unless I notify them that my condition has worsened)

I honestly believe there is little/no point in re-examining my claim - my conditions will not improve. (If my mobility were to worsen to a degree that I felt the 'enhanced' award was appropriate then I would inform the DWP of this, and accept another assessment was justified).

When you consider how much the assessors are paid then it makes good sense to stop assessing SOME claimants.

For the majority of claimants, then re-assessments are useful...it would help weed out the, comparatively few, cheats; it would keep a check on conditions; and for some people might even result in a higher award than expected...or it would, if the system actually worked!...We need to have QUALIFIED assessors...if I were reassessed I would appreciate an assessor who knew something about my condition...or failing that, someone who could at least SPELL the condition, and accurately copy the names of my medication.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    nannytone wrote: »
    i have a genetic condition that cannot improve, yet have no is with being re`assessed every 3 years. i think that anyoe reliant on public funds should be acoutable

Those in charge of public funds should also be accountable. Re-assessing people who will not have changed since the last assessment is not an appropriate use of funds.

Obviously whatever system they set up to decide who shouldn't be reassessed has to be robust.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,817
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Ames wrote: »
    Those in charge of public funds should also be accountable. Re-assessing people who will not have changed since the last assessment is not an appropriate use of funds.

Obviously whatever system they set up to decide who shouldn't be reassessed has to be robust.

Agree 100%.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    3 year PIP award for paraplegia, last award was 18 months. Is there any logic in the system?
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,250
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    My OH is due for an ESA reassessment this year.

He reaches state pension age next August, so do you think there is any likelihood of them leaving him alone until then, or will the DWP waste a load of taxpayers money in yet another face to face?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    melbury wrote: »
    My OH is due for an ESA reassessment this year.

He reaches state pension age next August, so do you think there is any likelihood of them leaving him alone until then, or will the DWP waste a load of taxpayers money in yet another face to face?

Who knows, but if he is called I would give them a call and point out that he will be retirement age before or very soon after a decision is made. They do have the discretion to delay in such circumstances.

Ref the original post, the guidance covers more conditions than we might expect. It gives mental health examples, for instance those with a long term identified condition, who have tried all treatment available on the NHS, would fall into this new category. Whether it will work that way in practice, we'll have to wait and see.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    this is reassuting but i wont jump for joy yet

what are your sources?

i have just had my third ESA assesment, (over 6 years, 2 years grace given at tribunal) heres a rough outline.

1. i have CP and mobility is issue as you expect and its not progressive like say MS but its accelerated, eg i had bunions at 10, and now im 30 im looking at knee replacements, eg i have put the strain through my legs in few years what someone of say 80 may expect, if that makes sense.

the first doctor said expected inprovment in 6 months, this is a life long thing, even if the damage was done in the first moments of labour, through to a few months old. I went to tribunal, won, do not bother me for 2 years.

second one i had a strongly worded letter from a consultant that "any thing we do would be symptom relief only and hes not getting better", again lost, went to tribunal, won, do not bother for 2 years.

then almost to the week, of the latest 2 years running out, i got the forms, filled out, and asseseed in person, THIS time, the physio was lovely and ive been told (over phone by dwp) that im all ok and it says do not assess upto and including 2020! and the assessors notes came back yesterday actually and it says she expects no long term improvement in me, which is mixed feelings as yes i know this and have done from a child what to expect in my life, and im happy someone (they) agree but its also a sobering thought, as i say i expect to have issues around joint replacements way before anyone "normal" would expect at 30, or even 70!
    this is first time ive not had to fight it and tribunal etc.

SO, what you say may be a realisation of what i felt recently, FINALLY they see me as a long term disabled person and i wont get fixed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure