Detention

Options

Comments

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    yep, thats what I would do, I would call the school and ask them for an explanation of what this detention was actually for.

The students that didn't get 77% are staying an extra hour tomorrow after school to re-sit the test. It's not being logged on the school gateway system as a detention by the teacher, make of that what you want!
    My d.d exceeded the mark but if the same 'threat' is given next time and it makes her more anxious or it doesn't bother her yet she doesn't make the pass then I will be having my say.
    Appreciate all opinions, thank you.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • bunk_bed
    bunk_bed Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    suejb2 wrote: »
    The students that didn't get 77% are staying an extra hour tomorrow after school to re-sit the test.

Good lord.

They'd have got a few verbals if they'd tried that on us at school. And not just from the pupils!!
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    The students that didn't get 77% are staying an extra hour tomorrow after school to re-sit the test. It's not being logged on the school gateway system as a detention by the teacher, make of that what you want!
    My d.d exceeded the mark but if the same 'threat' is given next time and it makes her more anxious or it doesn't bother her yet she doesn't make the pass then I will be having my say.
    Appreciate all opinions, thank you.

how do you know thats what's happening? I'm asking because with our secondary school parents got a letter home prior to a study period or detention. The letter would explain why the session was taking place. We didn't get anything like that for individual parents on the school website etc.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    how do you know thats what's happening? I'm asking because with our secondary school parents got a letter home prior to a study period or detention. The letter would explain why the session was taking place. We didn't get anything like that for individual parents on the school website etc.

The school uses Gateway system . Everything is online. Any attainments, behaviour, attendance, is communicated via this app, on top of that we get an text whenever this is updated.
    As I said, this teacher hasn't marked it as a detention so don't know how he has explained it to the parents. I'll fight my d.ds corner over this but because she isn't involved this particular time I'm prepared to "watch this space"
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    The school uses Gateway system . Everything is online. Any attainments, behaviour, attendance, is communicated via this app, on top of that we get an text whenever this is updated.
    As I said, this teacher hasn't marked it as a detention so don't know how he has explained it to the parents. I'll fight my d.ds corner over this but because she isn't involved this particular time I'm prepared to "watch this space"

How many times do you need to be told, ask the teacher! You're talking about fighting your daughter's corner, you don't even know what really happened.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options

so as its not marked as a detention on the school system, that would suggest to me that its not a detention. It may not even be mandatory, just an extra revision session set up by the teacher, in their time, as a supportive measure for the students who need extra support to reach their potential (is that % representative of a GSCE grade in particular perhaps?). In year 11 (ie earlier this year) my daughter attended several support sessions at her school for Maths, the teachers gave up their own free time to facilitate these for the pupils, and pupils were invited to attend if it was felt they were capable of achieving a C (number grade 4 or 5) but they weren't attaining that in their tests.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    coolcait wrote: »
    And how do you categorise all the pupils who not only couldn't be bothered for themselves - they were also disrupting the education of the other pupils who could be bothered? But weren't allowed to, because of the behaviour of their classmates. :(

What about the parents who couldn't be bothered with their children or their education?

Those groups also exist. What are your views on them?

What are your views? You seem to have something you want to get off your chest..

Do you have an opinion you would like to share?
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    How many times do you need to be told, ask the teacher! You're talking about fighting your daughter's corner, you don't even know what really happened.

The OPs daughter hasn't been given a detention/extra study session/whatever it is (she says so in the post you quoted). I don't think the teacher would appreciate a random parent phoning up to ask what's happening with other students.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »

OP isn't asking because her own daughter isn't involved.

I can't believe a teacher would want to stay after school on a Friday unless improving on their marks was important for the pupils involved. We now know it's not a detention after all. Maybe he's not happy with how these pupils are approaching Y10. Maybe last year's assessments show they are capable of better.

OP obviously got the word detention from somewhere, hence the name of the thread. I'm assuming it maybe feels like a detention to be asked to work after school on a Friday! :eek: Child cruelty! :eek:
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Detentions were never given for failing to meet a particular threshold when I was at school, but then like the students, teachers are also under more pressure since GCSE's have been reformed.

The after school part I don't agree with (they should be a last resort, and as other posters have highlighted, can punish other family members who could have done very little/nothing to ensure that the student did better.) By Year 10, if a student doesn't want to do the work, they aren't going to. If the child is struggling with the work, most parents are probably going to struggle to help at that level.

In my school, after school detentions only happened if the student had either been really poorly behaved, or the student said they couldn't attend the break/lunchtime detention they were given because they already had another detention with another teacher. Even then, if the parent said no, it didn't happen and the teacher had reschedule in school hours.

Is the class a mixed ability group or set by ability? Teachers who do set a session for this reason may look closely at the marks before setting the threshold, so it only punishes those who didn't put enough effort in. I doubt a student is going to advertise it if the teacher has exempted them because they've had xyz happen recently. Until it happens, who knows whether the teacher will continue to do this with further tests going forward, or whether the threshold is just a percentage or carefully considered according to performance.

The closest we ever had was when we had an essay set as a test in class. Everyone who didn't get 100% (!) had to do the same question again for homework. Detentions were only given when it was obvious that the student hadn't tried - for instance, one boy hadn't done his Art homework and drew something on the way to the class. The same boy also got a detention when another teacher decided his homework looked as if he'd completed it sitting on the dodgems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure