Rider insurance

Options
Hiya,

Quick Q - Those of you who horse ride, where do you get your 3rd party liability insurance from?

I need to cover me (34) and 2 kids (both under 12) - I ride weekly, both kids have a pony on loan 3 days a week.

Thanks!

Comments

• Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    When I used to ride outside of riding schools, I used the BHS Gold Membership, which comes with 3rd party and personal accident.

It's £67 for the first year for adults, £50 a year for junior (under 21) - as one person riding a variety of friends horses it worked out loads cheaper than anything else for me, no idea whether it's a good deal once you start adding in multiple people!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yup, BHS Gold!
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    That's exactly what the riding school mentioned.

I'm not 100% sure that 2 of us need it. I'll explain:

I only ever ride the riding school horses (in lessons, never hack out) However i will loan in the summer 2018

DD2 only rides the riding school horses.

DD1 - Has a loan pony - Will be hacking out so will need the insurance

Does that sound right? Wont me and DD2 be covered under the riding school insurance?
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never paid for insurance when my daughter had lessons she was covered by the riding school. Once she got her own horses she went for BHS Gold. I don't think the school would be able to operate without good insurance cover!
    Slightly bitter
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    That's exactly what the riding school mentioned.

I'm not 100% sure that 2 of us need it. I'll explain:

I only ever ride the riding school horses (in lessons, never hack out) However i will loan in the summer 2018

DD2 only rides the riding school horses.

DD1 - Has a loan pony - Will be hacking out so will need the insurance

Does that sound right? Wont me and DD2 be covered under the riding school insurance?

If you're only riding riding school horses, under the supervision of riding school instructors, in a riding school lesson, then you're under their liability insurance as they're in charge of you and it's their pony. (as long as they have liability insurance, which they should do!) Because you're turning up and paying to use their equipment under their supervision at a set time and date, essentially.

With a loan pony, you've loaned the responsibility for the horse and its actions as well as the horse itself so you're also financially responsible for the consequences. Doesn't matter if you're using their facilities - they're responsible for their facilities, you're responsible for your horse.

So it sounds like DD1 needs it now, DD2 is having lessons so is covered by the school's liability and you'll need liability when you start to loan. But, check exactly with the school, because they'll know what their insurance says and no one on the internet will have read their policy!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure