Options
13»

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lindos90 wrote: »

There isn't a 'housing officer' at the Uni as far as we can see, who deal with issues with private rented student accommodation, they only seem to deal with their own campus accommodation.

It's the same person - they should advise your son about any issues he has with his student accomodation.
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 October 2017 at 2:14PM
    Options
    Just an update, British Gas managed to cut me off several times as I was starting to explain the situation (maybe a few handlers dont want to deal with any calls that are not quick and straightforward, and its easier just to hang up!?)

I would not have been able to get through at all if it wasnt for the customer number on the debt agency letter (BGs automated call system requires either the customer number or the telephone number attached to the account)

Eventually got through to someone who didn't hang up, he listened, and said he would speak to his supervisor.

Upshot is, they can not (or will not, due to the large outstanding debt) put a temporary halt on the debt agencies application for warrant of entry.

They say the only way to stop that happening is for the lettings agent to pay the outstanding debt, in full, immediately. They recommend we make a formal complaint to the lettings agent about how they are handling it.

The person I spoke to said he was sorry he couldnt help more. He is himself a graduate, and said he remembers all to well the difficulties that students face in these situations. He told me to reassure my son and the other tenants that this was not their fault, they did not owe the money, and it would not affect their credit rating for the future.

So by default, I guess British Gas are getting us/the tenants to exert more pressure on the lettings agent to pay up. So its back to the lettings agent, who have only said 'we will look into it' every time they are contacted about it!

I will try and post an update when there is an outcome, in case it can help someone else in the future.
  • ExtraMask
    Options
    lindos90 wrote: »
    Upshot is, they can not (or will not, due to the large outstanding debt) put a temporary halt on the debt agencies application for warrant of entry.

I had a feeling they'd say that, it was worth asking though. Did you give them any contact information or correspondence address for the lettings agent?

They are right in advising to make a complaint to the lettings agent. They seem like thy're happy enough to collect the rent but not willing to uphold their end of the agreement (utility bills included).

I'd personally visit the letting agent if it's within a reasonable distance and ask them to sort it there and then. Give them the letters and advise them to contact BG on the number you did today. If the prepayment meters are installed then they'll have to top it up or pay the tenants the agreed utilities allowance or it would mean they're not upholding their side of the tenancy agreement.
  • lindos90
    Options
    Well hallelujah! Lettings agent just let son know that the bill was settled today! What a relief after several days of worry.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to give very helpful suggestions and advice, it was so helpful!

In the mean time, I got a land reg search, and found out who owns the property, interestingly they also have a business on the uni campus!

So, I will keep that information for future reference, if I ever need to fall back on it (hopefully will not need to, but good to know)

Seems that the threat of a warrant, and then the tenants emailing and calling multiple times, did the trick thank goodness!

Thanks again for everyones help :)
  • lindos90
    Options
    ExtraMask wrote: »
    I had a feeling they'd say that, it was worth asking though. Did you give them any contact information or correspondence address for the lettings agent?

They are right in advising to make a complaint to the lettings agent. They seem like thy're happy enough to collect the rent but not willing to uphold their end of the agreement (utility bills included).

I'd personally visit the letting agent if it's within a reasonable distance and ask them to sort it there and then. Give them the letters and advise them to contact BG on the number you did today. If the prepayment meters are installed then they'll have to top it up or pay the tenants the agreed utilities allowance or it would mean they're not upholding their side of the tenancy agreement.

No, they were not interested in any details about the lettings agent, as I was not the actual customer, they could not update the records, nor put it on file, as I could literally have been 'anyone'.

He is a fair distance away (about 2 and half hours) so not easy for us to nip into the office, but I think we will do next time we visit, which is in a couple of weeks, thanks for all your help ExtraMask x x
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So the agents say they've paid the bill?

Would not hurt to ring BG and quote the account number and ask BG to confirm if this is the case and that any application for warrant of entry has been stopped.
  • lindos90
    edited 11 October 2017 at 9:12PM
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    So the agents say they've paid the bill?

Would not hurt to ring BG and quote the account number and ask BG to confirm if this is the case and that any application for warrant of entry has been stopped.

Call me cynical, but that was my first thought too, maybe they are 'just saying it' like saying 'the cheque is in the post' kind of thing. But they actually contacted him to confirm, not them just saying that when he called them. That gives me a bit more hope.

Sadly, British Gas would not be able to tell me,if I spoke to someone, as I am not the account holder. When I called them yesterday they were helpful, but unable to give me any information about the account at all. If I called them, I am sure they would not be able to confirm if the bill had been paid, or if the warrant application has been cancelled :(

Just going to have to trust the LA are being honest about it for now. Any whiff to the contrary and there will be trouble!

EDIT...actually, I am wondering now...I do have the customer number (from the debt agency letter) I *think* if I call, one of the options to to check the account balance, if that is automated, maybe I can check that way...mmm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure