PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Don't want to sell my house

Options
13»

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just accept the offer.

If it isn't genuine then it will not proceed.

Is it a case of won't move or can't?

(If you accept this offer can you afford to buy another house?)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Match the offer on the table
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ultimately he does own half the house (I assume) and if he forces a sale via the courts he's entitled to receive market value for his share (effectively whatever it can be sold for).

However if there are children in involved that may alter things. Not something I know a great deal about but the judge might order the house cannot be sold until the children reach a certain age.

This is true where the parents are married, but for an unmarried couple the court has much less discretion, and it is much less likely.

OP, if the offer on the table is realistic then you need to accept it or match it. If you accept that offer and the sale goes through, then while your ex will get more than you offered him, you will also get more than the equity you would have retained.

If the offer (and asking price) are too high, then when the buyer gets their valuation or survey they may well drop the offer, and you can then re-submit your own.

Did you get more than one agent to give advice about marketing? Do you think the offer is realistic?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You need to base your offer on the market rate. If in doubt, pay a RICS surveyor to value it.

What you don't get to do is punish him financially for having an affair; and you don't get to live a two income life on one income.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Nub
    Nub Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    ...The offer was very good and he would have made a very good profit in the short time we have had the mortgage...
    No it wasn't.

If this offer makes him a lot more money, it also makes you a lot more money too. You don't need to be a cup-half-full kind of person to see this as good news... cash in and break away from the man you don't want anything to do with.

Also try to be reasonable, forcing this through the courts is expensive for both sides.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure