What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th October?

Options

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    DNMS- if you mean the cranberry, orange & cinnamon one, I posted the recipe up on my blog, I think it's November 2015, along with a few (unsurprising) ways to keep the cost down (plus a photo).I've never actually eaten it as have always made it for a gift.
    For our own annual Christmas cake, I always make the Jewelled Cake from the 'Women's Institute Complete Christmas' by Sian Cook et al. It's an expensive cake to make but as it's only once a year & it's completely yum, I always make one. It's packed with fruit but is lighter than traditional Christmas cake as the darkest thing in it is sultanas. It has apricots & crystallized ginger rather than raisins & currants. The 'jewels' are the multi-colour (red, green & yellow) glace cherries which look really pretty when you cut a slice, though the bloomin' things get harder to find every year. The WI book often turns up in charity shops.....lots of other nice stuff in it inc. a fab leftovers turkey chilli which I make every year.
    But the cranberry , orange & cinnamon cake defo on my blog.
    Why is cake so nice?
    Wish I hated cake.
    But that's not going to happen. Love baking it & eating it!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all, I've been awol as I worked a 12 hour day yesterday as someone was taken ill at work and I volunteered to do three hours overtime. I was absolutely knackered though as that was 11 hours on my feet

Today seemed short by comparison and I took in leftover pasta for lunch. I did however by lots of reduced stuff for a buffet dinner and there is plenty left over for lunch tomorrow. I was kicking myself yesterday though as I didn't have my cards on me and a whole short-dated peppered beef was sliced and sold off at half price and I couldn't buy any and had to see lots of it go in the bin at the end of the day :(

I'm knackered again tonight but hoping that doing a more active job will shift some weight, I will save some money by not buying a fitblt and just wait and see!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi guys :wave:
    Just thought I'd let you know we got the results from OH's op and it's good news :j :T :j :T Can't believe it!!
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Hi guys :wave:
    Just thought I'd let you know we got the results from OH's op and it's good news :j :T :j :T Can't believe it!!

Whoop! Great news for you guys xx
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2017 at 12:42PM
    Options
    Morning! I have been awake a ridiculous length of time! I think it was about 4.20 when I woke up :eek: seems like you weren't far behind me La E! So happy not to be at work until Tuesday! :j Was a tough week this week... I felt exhausted by the end of yesterday...

Foxgloves I've just dug out your fruit cake recipe. I think I will make that for fil :) can I ask when you put the almonds on to decorate? Before it goes in to cook I'm assuming?

Looking forward to the weekend - did I already say that?!

This morning have checked banking and did a money shuffle

Planning to do today:

* all meals from stores
    * [STRIKE]did a meal plan based around things we have in[/STRIKE]. so changed roast for next sunday to broad bean pilaf as I have all of those ingredients in and have almost none for roast!
    [STRIKE]* checked shopping list on mysupermarket[/STRIKE] and it's sub £24 :T (I recently discovered I have a food hoarding issue! :o I'm very good at freezing stuff so it doesn't perish. Not so good at eating it!
    * finish off h/w not done last night - just vacuuming & bathroom left to do :cool:
    [STRIKE]* walk to library return/get books and pick up a prescription (items they didn't have when I got the prescription so no cost ;))[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* dd coming round to play games[/STRIKE]
    * maybe going to kids party this afternoon - but think timings aren't going to work (it was supposed to be yesterday which we could make but changed to today late morning due to sickness, which we can't make!)
    * [STRIKE]nip [/STRIKE] walk to allotment and pick raspberries :T (and get my exercise for the day while I'm at it ;))
    [STRIKE]* check meal plan and get anything out of freezer needed[/STRIKE]
    *[STRIKE] washing out on the line [/STRIKE]
    * maybe convince madam to watch a film with me later, read books and generally play (not that I'll need to convince her of the last 2! She hasn't quite got the concentration for a film)
    * heating off :money:
    * ooooo list some things on fleabay

Ok that'll do!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2017 at 7:06PM
    Options
    I was awake at 4 something too, DNMS :( Wish I could stop doing this!
    Fantastic news La E :T
    Today's plans:
    More coffee - lots more coffee!
    Dog walks x 2 Done
    Cleaning - spare bedroom, landings and stairs, bathrooms! Done :T
    Make some blueberry muffins with YS blueberries - sadly my garden ones have finished now for the year! Done
    Was hoping for an all too rare NSD, but no, ran out of milk :(
    Used an old £1 coin to pay for the milk. Apparently our corner shop is going to accept them till the end of the month :)
    Easy dinner, jacket potatoes with mince and veg cooked yesterday- or if I am feeling industrious I may convert it into a lasagne instead. I wasn't feeling at all industrious, so jacket spuds it was! Plenty of apple crumble left for afters :)
    List more things on ebay Managed 3, could / should have done better!
    Sold a small item :)
    Get rid of a magazine subscription I don't want any more Found paperwork, stopped direct debit. Can't phone to let them know till Monday as they aren't open till then. Will be £38 saved :)
    Check banks One down, one to go!
    Check for surveys One for Prolific, now they have un-suspended my account :huh:
    OH is still giving me a running commentary on his cold symptoms, now thankfully gone to bed. Of course, if I get it next week, it won't be nearly so bad :rotfl:
    Must update dog's dinner of a household / grocery budget which has totally been blown this month :o

Happy Saturday everyone :)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    DNMS - Re that cranberry cake....yes, I put the almonds on it before it goes in the oven. If it looks like they are going a bit dark, I just put a little baking parchment hat over the top x

And here is today's list:
    *Treated ourselves to bacon rolls & coffee out. Paid using our October monthly spends, so no naughty little hits on the bank account there.
    *Despite using a more expensive supermarket this morning, our grocery shopping came in on budget. I was really pleased with that, as we will be using the cheaper one next time for our final shop of the month, so it looks like we will be within our budget for the month too, even though I did that further £20 top-slice to increase my two-monthly fresh fish order a bit.
    *Recycled an envelope for a letter.
    *mr f was all set to take the car off to the car wash today but it was so sunny & warm, he just cracked on with washing & hoovering it himself & saved the money.
    *Baked a cake......a french recipe this time, for another pear cake. Very useful as it needed 5 pears & yes, we are still INUNDATED with the things! Anyway, I almost didn't bother as was sure I didn't have the correct size of spring form tin, but I did, & it's turned out lovely. I think I will freeze some. Incidentally, I did my husband a disservice yesterday when I said my other cake would not get frozen because he'd scoff it.......we had a piece each, then I sliced & foiled the rest & he's happy to have it in his packed lunches, for picnics, etc. Ditto this one.
    *Did a few surveys. Haven't been doing 'Prolific Academic' for very long & am at over £11 already. They are more interesting than answering fatuous questions about brands, too.
    *Knit. A lot. I am on the final sock of the batch I said I'd do for sale (on somebody's annual knitting stall) but it isn't going to sit in my knitting basket constructing itself! I have done the leg, which was the slowest bit because it had lace panels & have turned the heel & picked up stitches for the foot. All I need to do now is get a bloomin' shift on & I can have them nicely labelled ready for presentation.
    And that's it for today. I supposed I'm most pleased with the grocery shop - it seems that the extra time I am putting into meal planning plus looking at my shopping lists with more of a critical eye is starting to pay off.
    Wishing you all a calm & peaceful evening...............well, unless anyone's planning to go out on the lash.....& that wouldn't be very money saving now, would it?!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • uphillstruggler
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Great news, La E!

Another NSD for me today so pleased with that.

Today I will/have:
    *check accounts
    *small transfer to emergencies account
    *November budget (Yolt)
    *free exercise
    *filing
    *work, work, work!

Been at work all day so that's enough for now.
    Have a nice evening,
    US x
    Emergencies account: £500/500
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

Yes, what a weight that's been lifted off our little shoulders - it's amazing. The op had less than 30% chance so we were braced for bad news. :o

Yeah DNMS - didn't sleep well last night and then got up thinking it was 6.30 and it was 5.30... Then decided to go back to bed and then got up not long after anyway. I quite like early mornings though. :)

Had quite a productive day tbh but can't think now! :p
    - Crocheted some new dish cloths
    - bit of gardening
    - cleaned round
    - tk maxx shop - new frying pan was apparently £49.99 and in tk maxx for £16.99...
    - free ebook
    - roast chicken is cooking - lots of leftovers :cool:
    - made lunch before we went shopping (otherwise we would've stopped somewhere :o) - omelette and chips :D

Need to think of somewhere good to take pooch face tomorrow... Then also need to go to the skip and do a bit of work - but those are tomorrow's problems... This eve I'm enjoying a few G&Ts and some TV.

Night all!
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Soooo glad it’s the weekend it’s been one of the longest weeks ever. Lovely catching up on everyone’s news, so pleased for you and hubby la e

Today I have :
    Checked banking
    Small shop to list
    Made quiche (used butter wrapper to grease quiche tin)
    DH taken skirting off our bedroom and I took of last of wallpaper. Now ready for plasterer on Monday
    2 loads of washing dried outside, I more in on timer ready for tomorrow
    Walk for some exercise
    DD did some homework.
    Soaked some chickpeas and cooked them, will make hummus tomorrow. Too tired tonight.
    Relist some fleabay items, one has sold :D
    Plan visit for tomorrow using our passes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family