How much off list price?

Options
ACG
ACG Posts: 23,740 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
edited 8 October 2017 at 6:41PM in Motoring
I have my eyes on a couple of Cars. Nothing fancy, but all are in and around £16-20k at the dealers.

All are cars that were launched in 2017 so they are all quite new.

I am guessing it is a "how long is apiece of string" kind of question, but if you dont ask and all that.
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends on:

How close to his targets/over his targets for the month the dealer is. If he's over or close, the answer can be none.

What if anything you're part exing. If it's basically a shed, although they won't tell you it will be assigned a value of nil so when they offer you (say) £500 for your part ex, that just comes off their deal flexibility

Whether you're a cash buyer or taking dealer finance.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    No part ex.
    I will need finance, I can do it through them (depending on what rates they charge) or not.

But I get the impression it is better for me to head down there towards the end of the month by the sounds of it?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on what car?
    Most give discount, some give dealer contribution toward finance and some offer scrappage.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Lucky_Duck_2
    Options
    I'd try something like Drive the Deal or Carwow to get an idea on what level of discounts are on offer
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Totally depends on the car and model. You might get 35% off a Citroen, but zilch off a Porsche.
    Have a look at carfile.net for guide prices.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 7:09PM
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Totally depends on the car and model. You might get 35% off a Citroen, but zilch off a Porsche.
    Have a look at carfile.net for guide prices.
    I don't know about that. I've seen more discount on higher end or "executive" class models than your standard day to day stuff.

As a general rule of thumb if you're not getting around 15-20% from any new car then you're not trying hard enough. Also, one thing to bear in mind is the fact that car sales are down at the moment so probably more chance of a deal.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've seen more discount

Oh no! Don't call it a discount! They don't like it when you call it a discount. It's a 'manufacturer contribution' or a 'dealer contribution'. But please don't call it a discount, something bad is bound to happen if anyone finds out...
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I don't know about that. I've seen more discount on higher end or "executive" class models than your standard day to day stuff.

As a general rule of thumb if you're not getting around 15-20% from any new car then you're not trying hard enough. Also, one thing to bear in mind is the fact that car sales are down at the moment so probably more chance of a deal.

As you've said any new car, if you could point me to a genuine 20% off a new i3 I would be most grateful.

I say "genuine" because all BMW dealers I've spoken to give about a 15% discount off list, but conveniently forget to mention this is the government allowance of £5k plus the BMW contribution available on pretty much all new BMWs. These prices have come through Carwow and face to face with the dealer.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try CarWow they will give you 5 quotes from named main dealers, most near you, and you can then contact any of the dealers with further questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure