🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Return Gone Missing - Advice?

Options
Hi all hoping to get some advice and I'll keep it as concise as possible...

- sold an item on ebay
- dispatched the item via Royal Mail 2nd class signed for
- buyer received the item and stated it was damaged
- I asked the buyer for photos, she sent one which showed the item was broken (this must have happened in transit)
- I asked her to return the item and packaging for Royal Mail claim and upon receipt I would issue a full refund
- She sent it on 27/09/17 via Royal Mail 1st class and sent me a photo of proof of postage
- I have still not received the item

What am I meant to do in this scenario? I haven't sold on ebay for a while so might be out the loop but my understanding was no return received = no refund and the buyer has to make the Royal Mail claim - is this still the case?

Two other things just to mention...

1) The one photo she sent the item had a mark on it which was not there when I sent it and it would have been impossible for this mark to happen on transit which concerns me i.e. has she done the buy a new one swap with a broken one she had and then return the broken one to me (but that's the cynic in me!)

2) We didn't discuss who would pay for return postage but normally I would refund a return for a damaged item however she sent me 2 photos of receipts one for postage and one for a jiffy bag - I don't understand why she wouldn't have just used the packaging it arrived in so don't see this as an 'acceptable expense' - thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,986 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    1. Impossible to prove even if you think it is probable that she's switched items
    2. You asked her to return the item + packaging - she's taken you at your word and packed up both, possibly believing (not unreasonably) that she couldn't simply reuse the packaging if you needed this for a Royal Mail claim

Try messaging her and asking (politely and pleasantly, however hard that may be!) if she would be kind enough to claim for the lost item and confirming you will supply proof of value (i.e. the amount you would have refunded had it arrived back with you)
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you a business or private seller. I am guessing private but the difference is relevant.
  • Shiloe
    Shiloe Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    Are you a business or private seller. I am guessing private but the difference is relevant.

I am a private seller
  • Shiloe
    Options
    Marcon wrote: »
    1. Impossible to prove even if you think it is probable that she's switched items
    2. You asked her to return the item + packaging - she's taken you at your word and packed up both, possibly believing (not unreasonably) that she couldn't simply reuse the packaging if you needed this for a Royal Mail claim

Try messaging her and asking (politely and pleasantly, however hard that may be!) if she would be kind enough to claim for the lost item and confirming you will supply proof of value (i.e. the amount you would have refunded had it arrived back with you)

1) I thought as much :doh:

2) I guess that could be the point and I know I wouldn't be 'required' to refund the jiffy bag price it would more be to attempt to keep the buyer happy

I had messaged her during the week as it had not arrived and she said it should arrive by 04/10 (Wed) which to me seems long for 1st class. Obviously it hasn't so I don't know whether to wait until say tomorrow and if nothing again message her again
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    As you are private you don't need to worry until the item is delivered (or she can prove delivery).

Did she open an eBay returns case?
  • Shiloe
    Options
    No she hasn't opened an eBay returns case (yet...)
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Shiloe wrote: »
    No she hasn't opened an eBay returns case (yet...)

The most ideal situation now for you is for her to open a case. If it were me I would ask her to open a returns request (don't mention the word case) and then you need to accept the return. As she won't have tracking, she won't be able to add her return. You will be able to escalate the case (from memory it's quite a long time like 35 days) and eBay will close it in your favour. This has the added benefit of removing any feedback she's left or preventing her from leaving any. Along with that, you get to keep your funds. If the item turns up, then you can decide what you want to do from there on without risking your account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport