🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cancelled sold item after posting.

Options
Sold item last night which I posted this morning RM second class.

Just got message from buyer asking to cancel as she already has one.
I messaged back to say sorry it has already been posted.
What is the correct thing to do in this situation and does she have a right to return? I am a private seller

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's bad luck.

Hopefully your buyer is honest and will let you know it's arrived/been refused.

Do you have returns accepted on your listings? If so, just let the buyer know they need to open a returns request and you will take the item back.

If you don't, be prepared for the buyer to say the item didn't arrive/arrived damaged etc (hence the honesty comment in my first sentence).

If it were me, I would apologise that it's already gone (yes really) and ask them to refuse (if you are using a carrier who will RTS and have an address for return on) or to request a return once it's arrived.

You may want to google "paypal fund the return" and give them the link to a free *up to £15 returns on their change of mind purchases - might save some hassle for you all.
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have no returns stated but am willing to refund just don't know how to go about it.
    I printed the address label myself (have never used eBay labels) so if I tell buyer to return at their expense, how does this work with eBay returns procedure?
    Also, if buyer didn't accept the item and It was returned to me wouldn't I have to pay that return postage?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did make mention of the Paypal refund scheme but you perhaps didn't see it. I'm home now and can post a link.

If you send the link the the buyer, you can explain that it will give them a free (up to £15 return) for your item - hopefully that will stop anything untoward (in case it was a bad buyer).

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If the buyer doesn't accept the item, there is no return postage *with some carriers (who did you use) and the item will come back and you refund in full.
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the link.
    It as sent Royal Mail second class small parcel £2.90
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing