Query about selling craft-work

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ames wrote: »

Don't forget that if you're working from patterns then they could have copyright which means you can't sell the finished goods.

A lot of patterns, particularly in books have a warning about copyright if you make other than as a gift or for your own use. However, if making for a charity, some (not all) will give permission for you to make a small number of items from the patterns. (I got permission to make some knitted dogs for a dog charity to sell and even received a free pattern from its creator.)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    OP my advice is DON'T do it, it could get far more complicated than the small rewards are worth.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    OP my advice is DON'T do it, it could get far more complicated than the small rewards are worth.

I am not going to do it!

It was never my intention...I seriously could not make the quantity to make it worth while.

If I COULD do it, I would be selling them myself - and doing everything above board, including taxes....If my health every recovered (highly unlikely) then a small business selling craft items would be lovely!
  • teddysmum
    Options
    OP if your knitting is just therapeutic, many of the animal charities would be grateful for your work to sell and would probably provide donated wool, too.

If donated items are sold via forum or such as Facebook, many will reimburse postage charges, too.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just out of interest - where does "selling stuff you no longer want" end and "making stuff specifically to sell" begin?
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    The organised way the stall holder seems to be wanting to do it for several people sounds like fraud to my uneducated mind. You could do it legitimately if you wanted to, but steer clear of that lady.

If you're enjoying your knitting and like dogs you could always knit greyhound jumpers ... I like to make mine out of fleece but that may largely be becuase I drop more stitches than I started with even when knitting a teddy bear scarf!
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Teddysmum - Yes, my crafting is very much therapeutic...

It keeps my hands occupied...and the fingers moving....also, it helps me to feel I am still able to accomplish something - even if I am finding myself not only housebound but chairbound on some days.

I fill a couple of shoe-boxes for the Operation Christmas Child appeal...and will usually put a hand-knitted hat in each.

The idea of giving knitted items to a charity is something I hadn't thought of...and with that it wouldn't matter that I can't work to any deadlines!

w06....this is why I asked the question...the law seems a little sketchy, and I was wondering how legit her scheme is.
  • teddysmum
    Options
    Don't forget to ask if they have any wool though, as it can work out expensive . Charities are given wool, ask for it on forums or local radio or respond to requests for takers.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    I had a bin bag full of wool donated to my Brownies from Freecycle.

Another charity option is to knit very small clothing for premature babies. Your local hospital with a maternity unit should be able to advise. Or maybe consider twiddlemuffs for dementia patients in local care homes, or contact your lcoal carer's centre if you want to donate to people being cared for at home.

I wish that you lived near me - I've never mastered knitting or crochet.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just out of interest - where does "selling stuff you no longer want" end and "making stuff specifically to sell" begin?

When you buy/make something just to sell. Its a very grey area though. If you buy something, never use it, find it and then sell it does that count? If you make something, it doesn't fit the person you made it for and then sell it, does that count?

The truth is that if you are doing it as a small hobby then you'd be very unlucky to be caught out. There are a load of people who do it, if you told most of them that they are breaking the law, they'd probably think you were mad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure