New car woe - what to consider

Options
danm
danm Posts: 541 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
So I went to pick up my new car yesterday from dealer. Been waiting for 3-4 months.

Car was sitting waiting for me on arrival and on a quick inspection I noticed a few minor scuffs that I wanted fixing. As the salesman went to take it round to the valetting bay he has basically managed to corner too tightly and cave in the front and rear passenger side doors on a security bollard that had not been removed.

I have been given two options

Not accept the vehicle, they will order me a brand new one but will take 3 months

They will arrange for vehicle to be repaired to an as new standard and will give me £1000 off......it is a £45k car. - they have agreed I can still reject the car if I am not happy with it.

Part of me wants the brand spanking new car, but in all honesty i would rather have the car sooner and on basis it will be two totally brand new doors being added it will effectively be ‘as new’, if anything seems amiss I can reject (although not sure what I would be looking for apart from the colour)

I think I can negotiate some more discount, but anything else I need to be aware of before I decide...

TIA

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    danm wrote: »
    So I went to pick up my new car yesterday from dealer. Been waiting for 3-4 months.

Car was sitting waiting for me on arrival and on a quick inspection I noticed a few minor scuffs that I wanted fixing. As the salesman went to take it round to the valetting bay he has basically managed to corner too tightly and cave in the front and rear passenger side doors on a security bollard that had not been removed.

I have been given two options

Not accept the vehicle, they will order me a brand new one but will take 3 months

They will arrange for vehicle to be repaired to an as new standard and will give me £1000 off......it is a £45k car. - they have agreed I can still reject the car if I am not happy with it.

Part of me wants the brand spanking new car, but in all honesty i would rather have the car sooner and on basis it will be two totally brand new doors being added it will effectively be ‘as new’, if anything seems amiss I can reject (although not sure what I would be looking for apart from the colour)

I think I can negotiate some more discount, but anything else I need to be aware of before I decide...

TIA

Ask them to order you a new car and loan you a series of demonstrators while you wait?
  • danm
    Options
    Ask them to order you a new car and loan you a series of demonstrators while you wait?

We ordered an f-pace ....they offered an XJ but mrs not too keen on driving a saloon after many years of high SUV type driving position
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lots of cars are damaged before even leaving the factory.

These are repaired and parts (doors especially!) are replaced regularly.

It may already have had body repairs carried out on it that you wouldn't know about.

So in effect, if the repairs are carried out to the same standards then it is as new condition.

Personally, I would take the £1000 off as long as the repairs are satisfactory.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    Options
    If you have it fixed you will always have a bitter taste re this car. I would force their hand on a loan car, remember Jaguar is the same group as Land Rover if you must have an SUV.
    And order a new one.
    Even though it was a genuine accident you are in the position where you could consider suing for breach of contract if they don't play ball. £1000 is a bit of an insult TBH.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    Let them have a go at fixing it but inspect it really carefully when it's done. Check the colour matches under streetlight and make sure the paint texture is exactly the same (usually best don't by looking at the reflection of and object in the paintwork). Once you've got the hang of the second technique you'll be able to spot a poorly respayed panel a mile off.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lots of cars are damaged before even leaving the factory.

These are repaired and parts (doors especially!) are replaced regularly.

It may already have had body repairs carried out on it that you wouldn't know about.

So in effect, if the repairs are carried out to the same standards then it is as new condition.

Personally, I would take the £1000 off as long as the repairs are satisfactory.

No. Absolute nonsense

Don't accept the car. Get another one ordered up.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2017 at 8:14AM
    Options
    "Minor scuffs", "Cave in front and side doors". Thant doesn't sound like a minor scuff to me, particularly if, as you say, they'll be fitting new doors.

Even if they replace the doors, there's no guarantees they will though, they will still need to paint and blend the areas which probably wont be as perfect as the factory finish. What colour is the car and is there finance involved or is it a cash purchase?

This sounds like significant body damage to me, personally I would wait for a new car. I'm sure your missus can handle a few months in a different car.
  • danm
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    "Minor scuffs", "Cave in front and side doors". Thant doesn't sound like a minor scuff to me, particularly if, as you say, they'll be fitting new doors.

Even if they replace the doors, there's no guarantees they will though,

This sounds like significant body damage to me,

The car was being driven round to a valeting bay to have the minor scuff removed, when the major damaged happened.

They will replace the doors...I don't think there would be many options from the amount of damage.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    danm wrote: »
    The car was being driven round to a valeting bay to have the minor scuff removed, when the major damaged happened.

They will replace the doors...I don't think there would be many options from the amount of damage.
    That makes sense. In which case I'd definitely hold out for a new replacement.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    No. Absolute nonsense

Don't accept the car. Get another one ordered up.

What's absolute nonsense?

I actually work on the door build for the F-Pace (and Velar) at Solihull.

Every day they come and get a couple of new doors to replace ones that are irreparably damaged around site.

If the damage isn't that severe then the doors (and any other panels) are repaired in just the same way that any good body shop would do.

If the repair is done correctly then there is no difference to hundreds of other cars that have left the factory after being repaired, with no one any the wiser.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure