Calculator to add up total price?

Options
I've not had any luck finding the right calculator via google to add up certain things so I know my energy supplier is billing me correctly. I recently moved to Sainsburys Energy and it's a fixed monthly DD of £67 even though I know I'm using less than that in consumption, I'm not sure when they will credit back what I'm owed. My previous supplier (FU) billed based on my monthly meter readings so I'm not used to this different method of a fixed DD.

Anyway, is there a calculator where I can input my starting read and current read, as well as input the kWh price of electric and gas. I can do this myself but I'm never sure whether to add 5% VAT on top or not, so the numbers get skewed. I can then compare it to what Sainsburys are billing me in future (and credit I get back) for reference. Thanks!

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use my own spreadsheet. The problem you will have with any on line calculator is the gas cv as it varies daily and by region. I download it from the ng web site and work out the average myself. My calculations always come out within 1p of the billed amount.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Meters is a 99p IOS app that I use to monitor my usage and cost. All it requires is the owner to input tariff details and then enter meter readings as and when. It shows the total cost since the last bill and the cost between bills. Once a year’s data has been inputted, the app also compares usage week by week; month by month and year by year.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aaron3195 wrote: »
    I've not had any luck finding the right calculator via google to add up certain things so I know my energy supplier is billing me correctly. I recently moved to Sainsburys Energy and it's a fixed monthly DD of £67 even though I know I'm using less than that in consumption, I'm not sure when they will credit back what I'm owed. My previous supplier (FU) billed based on my monthly meter readings so I'm not used to this different method of a fixed DD.

Anyway, is there a calculator where I can input my starting read and current read, as well as input the kWh price of electric and gas. I can do this myself but I'm never sure whether to add 5% VAT on top or not, so the numbers get skewed. I can then compare it to what Sainsburys are billing me in future (and credit I get back) for reference. Thanks!

I think that you don't understand tariffs paid by DD. The amount of the monthly DD does not reflect how much you've used between any two dates. It is one twelfth of what they estimate you will spend in a year.

The amount isn't fixed, by the way. Sainsbury's - and the others - do monitor and will change your DD as their estimates are recalculated. By coincidence, I received such a notification from Sainsbury's this morning
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    < It is one twelfth of what they estimate you will spend in a year.>

Thats the key ESTIMATE .
    My initial DD was set at £60 pm based upon my estimated amount of usage .If my usage was significantly different ,or i had underestimated my projected usage it would have been raised .As my use is lower than expected it has just dropped to £47 pm .
    The only figures i need are standing charge and unit cost when purchasing a new plan .
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

Thats the key ESTIMATE

So good I used it twice!

That dates me :(

Incidentally, Sainsbury's put my DD up by 85%, presumably because today is my last day on their kamikaze tariff (gas at 1.61p per kWh! ) and they think I'm the sort of sap who will roll over onto Standard Rate.

But, Lo! there was a second email from them:

"Sorry you're leaving us
    Hello Polymaff
    We'll close your account on 18th October 2017, and your new supplier will automatically take over your supply at the same time – so you won't be left without any gas. If things change, we'll let you know."

Heh, Heh! :)
  • I used to pay by quarterly cheque up until I needed some DDs to open a Santander 123 account, so I've only just discovered what a PITA DDs are.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I created one in google docs when I wasn't convinced my supplier would bill me correctly.

I put a cleaned up version next to my tariff comparison spreadsheet here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LsLIrx-lkdJ0FOrg3tSn2RB6a8k9_WUKYfXFExVWjIA/pub?output=xlsx

It should let you drag copy the date lines down to create one for each bill. Fill in the starting reading, and the subsequent readings and their dates, fill in the unit and daily rates (including the 5% VAT) and it should tell you how much each bill should have been. You can also enter what you've paid in on the electricity tab, and it will calculate what your credit/debit balance should be (assuming you started at 0 and your supplier doesn't pay credit interest)

If you have gas and you want it to be accurate to the penny, you need to fetch the calorific values from national grid for each billing period and get the average, but if you don't need it that accurate you can just put 40 (or an annual average, up to you)

If you find any mistakes let me know.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Thats the key ESTIMATE .
    My initial DD was set at £60 pm based upon my estimated amount of usage .If my usage was significantly different ,or i had underestimated my projected usage it would have been raised .As my use is lower than expected it has just dropped to £47 pm .
    The only figures i need are standing charge and unit cost when purchasing a new plan .

As you clearly over-estimated your consumption when you switched to this supplier, it's worth doing another new comparison now with the more accurate estimate of your anticipated annual consumption.

Such changes in your anticipated annual consumption can affect what is the best supplier/tariff your you.
    Beware of any possible early exit fees that may apply to to cancelling the agreement early, but these may be almost totally negated by the possible cashack that may be available ty switching anyway :)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    <As you clearly over-estimated your consumption >
    YES
    <worth doing another new comparison now with the more accurate estimate of your anticipated annual consumption.>

Why ?my estimated consumption makes no difference . Its the cost of the units and standing charges that make a difference .
    Thats all i look at the actual cost not an estimate of anything .Thats what i have done on multiple transfers since day one .Look at the cheapest cost not the cheapest estimate .
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    <worth doing another new comparison now with the more accurate estimate of your anticipated annual consumption.>

Why ?my estimated consumption makes no difference . Its the cost of the units and standing charges that make a difference .
    Thats all i look at the actual cost not an estimate of anything .Thats what i have done on multiple transfers since day one .Look at the cheapest cost not the cheapest estimate .

But your 'actual' annual cost is based on an incorrect estimate of your anticipated annual consumption, hence the need to amend that estimate.

Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you :)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport