Only Part Refunded cos I used a discount code - is this right?

Options
Hi,
Looking for some advice and have tried searching the forum by the retailed but with no luck.
Basicallly, I bought some tiles for my shower room which came to nearly £80 from B&Q. I am part of their loyalty card and used a '£10 off a £50 spend' code they sent me to buy these tiles. Anyway, now it has been re-tiled, I was left with 2 unopened packs. So I toddled back down to B&Q to get a refund and was only partly refunded at a rate of £8.35 a pack, when tiles retail at £9.60 a pack. I queried it as even when you take these 2 packs off the total I spent, I'd still have spent over the £50 minimum to be able to use the code. However, the customer advisor was adamant there was nowt she could do.
I'm aware it's only £2.50 but I feel :mad: that B&Q has essentially taken my money for nothing. I don't see how they can justify it as I hand delivered them unopened and undamaged to their store, so they can't exactly charge delivery. I can't find anything in their FAQs about this. Is this right? Is this legal? it just seems really sneaky. Am I the only person this has happened to or have others experienced this? Am I being unreasonable?

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Write a letter of complaint to their HQ. They will refund you the £2.50 out of goodwill just to get rid of you.

I haven't worked out if your are right or not, how many boxes did you buy?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    Write a letter of complaint to their HQ. They will refund you the £2.50 out of goodwill just to get rid of you.

I haven't worked out if your are right or not, how many boxes did you buy?

If you do the maths, they bought eight. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 September 2017 at 1:49PM
    Options
    You paid £8.35 per box - and got back £8.35 per box.

If you'd done your sums right in the first place, and only bought the 6 boxes you needed, then you would have paid:

£9.60 x 6 = £57.60 - £10 = £47.60 / 6 = £7.93 per box.
  • Sarastro
    Options
    They are two separate elements: the voucher was for £10 off...and they have fully complied with that offer by giving you £10 off the original purchase. So that sets the price of the box of tiles...two of which you are now returning and you should get back the price you paid per box. Not sure why you would expect to buy them at a discount and return them at full price? If that worked, I think a lot of people would be doing it!!

If you want them back at full price you are effectively saying you don't want the voucher to have applied to the original transaction, in which case you owe them something for the other 6 boxes you did use.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • societys_child
    Options
    Agree with above^..
    Vouchers normally state: "No Cash Value". You were given a discount and received back what you paid, which is correct otherwise you'd been converting the voucher to cash.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Seeing as they don’t even have to accept returns I think they are entitled to calculate the refund however they like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure