Options
2»

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sn1987a wrote: »
    I am in the same situation. The wallpaper is on the ceiling only... Impossible for us to remove it. I found a paint for painting over wallpaper. I am going to try one coat of this paint before painting it over. I read that the first coat should be with an oil based paint so the wallpaper wouldn't bubble.
    In theory it can sometimes bubble a little in places if it wasn't applied too well in the first place, but it won't be really noticeable and, as Norman Castle said, a little wallpaper paste will fix it. But buying special paint is an unnecessary extra expense, and emulsion might not go too well over oil-based paint afterwards. I just use the same emulsion as the walls, quick, easy and cheap.
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've recently done a textured wallpaper ceiling, couple of dabs of Zinser 123 where it was badly stained, fixed some seams with caulk and pressed with seam roller, applied 2 coats of white matt. Jobs a good un. No bubbling.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Also a real pain to do if working off a stepladder if one is even slightly vertically challenged. For this type of work, a small scaffold tower is an advantage (you could run a plank between two ladders, but it isn't particularly safe).

I used a "step up platform" from Screwfix to strip the paper on my ceilings, was about £30. My ceilings are only the modern 8' height though, it wouldn't be any good in a house from the Regency period.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought i could do a simple, strip wallpaper, sand and paint job. On removing the wallpaper from the ceiling revealed a multitude of cracks, loose plaster, and other holes which the paper was covering up. Needed to give the ceiling a complete skim in the end.

Lesson learned - Expect the worst when removing paper, and you won't be shocked. Don't think it'll be as simple as remove the paper and paint - you may need more work than that!!!

But other than that, if your paper is fine and you're happy with it, go ahead and paint. Just take your time with a roller so you don't splatter paint EVERYWHERE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure