Incandescent bayonet bulbs

Are these now illegal to buy - over 60watts or just difficult to find ?
I have checked Amazon and drawn a blank
60 watts is too dim for our large living room - and I prefer the warmth of an incandescent to LED and, in any case - we have a dimmer switch..

Comments

• There are plenty available on eBay and probably other sites too.

Refine that search for 100 watt or whatever you require.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I use Light Bulbs Direct but you can only buy the Heavy Duty or Rough Service 100 W bulbs and they can sometimes take a few days longer to arrive.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    50Twuncle wrote: »

I can sell you some. I'll meet you at the end of your street 8pm. No names, bring cash. ;)

As with many things (like creosote) there is a difference between what consumers and professionals can purchase. 'Rough service' bulbs are intended for professional use... so they are not yet banned.

You can get 'filament' LED bulbs which are also dimmable, and apart from a little bit of strobing I've found them a useful close alternative to incandescent.

I've also noticed that colour changing LED bulbs are becoming popular, so in due course I expect it will be possible to buy a dimmable LED bulb which can give you the exact colour temperature you prefer at any given moment in time. They will probably 'learn' what colour you like at different times of day and adjust automatically, possibly even depending on who is in the room.

My advice (having stocked up on incandescents when they were sold off cheap, then likewise with CFL's :mad: ) is not to buy any significant quantity of any type of bulb. There is usually something cheaper, more efficient, and generally better coming out all the time.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    50Twuncle wrote: »

It is still possible to get incandescent bulbs over 60W - I have some equipment that uses 150W bulbs. Downside is I have to order them from a distributor in Holland, but I can get the 75W equivalents closer to home.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I can sell you some. I'll meet you at the end of your street 8pm. No names, bring cash. ;).
    Do you accept pound notes as payment ?
    I have some home printed ones....!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family