New Windows and Doors advice

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    bery_451 wrote: »
    In order to buy them I gotta measure first yeah before handing over to the builder.

The point is that if you measure up & give the measurements to the manufacturers, then the builders fit them, if anything goes wrong they will all blame you. You ordered the wrong size, you ordered the wrong type, you bought faulty windows, your builder damaged them, etc.

A window company will do everything so if anything goes wrong it's up to them to put it right. There's no one else to blame.

We had new windows last year, some were right hung when they should be left hung, some were damaged, some needed modifying, lots of silly little things but they were all the window company's problem & they sorted them all.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Birmingham? The plastics depot in Sutton Coldfield sell Irish oak windows supply only and they can give you some phone numbers of fitters they know. You can buy direct from them. Deffo worth getting a price. 01213112666 they are my suppliers. :cool:
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,807 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    docmatt wrote: »
    Birmingham? The plastics depot in Sutton Coldfield sell Irish oak windows supply only and they can give you some phone numbers of fitters they know. You can buy direct from them. Deffo worth getting a price. 01213112666 they are my suppliers. :cool:

Cheers, do you have to be a trade to buy them or they open to all including the public?

You like to come down and give a quote if your local.
  • docmatt
    bery_451 wrote: »
    Cheers, do you have to be a trade to buy them or they open to all including the public?

You like to come down and give a quote if your local.

trade or public mate
  • bery_451
    trade or public mate

Great, ok I was thinking popping down there. I assume they don't come out to take measurements correct?

If so is there how to guide on how to measure windows to make sure to get the measurements right as I don't want to risk going down with wrong measurements for windows that wont fit :eek:
  • docmatt
    I don't think they do mate they just a trade outlet we take them the measurements and they order. Your window fitter will know the sizes. We can be up to 4 inches out on our measurements and the price stays the same.
  • bery_451
    I don't think they do mate they just a trade outlet we take them the measurements and they order. Your window fitter will know the sizes. We can be up to 4 inches out on our measurements and the price stays the same.

Ok we dont have a window fitter however plastics depot said they can arrange a fitter after we bought the windows from them.

Which means we have to obtain measurements ourselves first.

Is there a how to guide or video on how to measure windows and doors properly to avoid getting windows/doors that dont fit.

We dont want to risk spending £thousands of windows to realise at the end they won't fit but i'm sure there's a guide somewhere that everest follow to measure windows so we follow the guide for accuracy.
  • docmatt
    You provide rough sketches to quote
    They price you up
    You get a price from the fitter
    The fitter does the survey
    The fitter gives his survey to them.
  • bery_451
    You provide rough sketches to quote
    They price you up
    You get a price from the fitter
    The fitter does the survey
    The fitter gives his survey to them.

Ok approximately how long do they take to manufacture the windows and doors?

The fitters they recommend are they registered with credentials like trustmark, fensa etc.?

Our highest quote so far is from Finesse Windows at £14500 who claim to have the same quality like everest.

In compare to this quote how cheap is the plastics depot quote is likely to be you think without fitting? 1/4 or 1/3 of this quote or even cheaper?

Is the separate fitting charge likely to be expensive?

Asking all these questions to work and balance out which route is better.
  • docmatt
    Dude I have no idea best you ask them. If you're fussy and want all the credentials then I'd go with a company like finesse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure