Benefits in kind and pensionable earnings; lower earners

Options
Hi,

I've just had a partly unsuccessful phone call with HMRC and then they referred me to the pensions advisory service, but I'm still a bit in the dark.

My scenario:

Some SE earnings (c.£500-1000/p.a)
Some zero-hours earnings at the nursery my son attends.

The nursery work entitles me to free childcare during my shift, as a benefit in kind. My original understanding was that benefits in kind increase ones pensionable earnings by their nominal value.

HMRC said I was still capped at my total actual earnings (grossed up)
PAS said that if I earned in excess of £8500 I could include the benefit in kind, and pay into my SIPP accordingly. I think this is more likely, seeing this: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/pensions-tax-manual/ptm044100#earnings However both said it was a bit niche for them to be sure, and neither knew if the benefit in kind was included in the earnings threshold.

I don't want to do the wrong thing, and so I wanted to ask the knowledgeable people on here.

a) does the £8500 include the perceived value of the benefit in kind?
b) if so, is my total (net) contribution: ((SE earnings + zero-hours earnings + benefit in kind)/80)*100
c) If I have also worked as a volunteer for some shifts, so on nil pay but getting free childcare, am I also allowed to add that free childcare value to my pensionable earnings?

Many thanks if anyone is able to help.
Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business