Car insurance blunder!

Hi all,

Been going through some old paperwork and came across a receipt for car windscreen replacement which i had done in January 2016. This was done through my previous insurers, admiral.

I stayed with admiral for another year and then this year (January) their renewal quote was high so i shopped around and took up a new policy with Tesco in February.

Stupidly i didn't advise them of the windscreen replacement, complete oversight as i assumed this didn't need to be declared. (Since found out it does)

What should i do noew? Should i ring up Tesco and acknowledge this? I assume there may be an extra premium which i'll suck up but can they cancel the policy altogether because of this silly oversight?

Appreciate any reply.

Thanks

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Yes advise them asap.

Any failure to disclose that comes to light subsequently gives insurers an opportunity to void/cancel a policy.

But if you contact them and inform them about your oversight the worst you can expect is a premium loading plus an admin fee for a mid term change.

Best case scenario will be no charges to pay!
  • Thank you for your reply. Just rang current insurers and it was fine, no extra fees etc just an extra monthly charge or about £1. Phew! Am so relieved!

They have sent me through the updated schedule documents and all looks good.

Thanks again Quentin, your advice prompted me to do this and put my mind at ease!
  • Many thanks for raising this, Eleanor. In 2011 I made a claim for a new screen and was assured at the time it would not affect my future NCD and did not need to be declared; I thus forgot all about it.

Your post made me ring my insurer to check. In my case, all is well and no extra charge, but not all insurers have the same Ts and Cs.
  • stokesley wrote: »
    Many thanks for raising this, Eleanor. In 2011 I made a claim for a new screen and was assured at the time it would not affect my future NCD and did not need to be declared; I thus forgot all about it.

Your post made me ring my insurer to check. In my case, all is well and no extra charge, but not all insurers have the same Ts and Cs.

You olso have to inform insurance if you have just had it repaired.Like for a small stone chip in case it may go completely.
  • stokesley wrote: »
    Many thanks for raising this, Eleanor. In 2011 I made a claim for a new screen and was assured at the time it would not affect my future NCD and did not need to be declared; I thus forgot all about it.

No problem! I thought the same hence me checking with our insurers. Luckily there was no issue and glad to hear it's the same in yout case with you too when you also raised it. Anything insuers with do to not pay out they will probably try and use against you. Was more worried about having a cancelled policy on my records than i was about a hike in premiums!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure