Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

To OP or not to OP

Hi wise ones,
so, i was overpaying my old mortgage but that was a no brainer as it was at 5.19% fixed for 2yrs but the new one is only 1.39% for 2yrs. I have a number of different accounts i currently move money around that pay between 1.5% and 5%. I haven't overpaid at all this year as i figured it was best to save and then pay off a big lump at the end of the deal with the savings but now i'm not so sure.
What do you all think?

Replies

• louloubelle79louloubelle79 Forumite
    411 Posts
    100 Posts
    Forumite
    Good point ...I guess to save in higher interest would be more beneficial then pay lump sum each year maybe? I'm a MFW newbie so others may have more accurate advice.
  • Pay off the debt sitting in the account/mortgage with the highest % Or the savings with the highest %..whatever is larger.
    Pretty straight forward as a general rule of thumb.

Just check the savings don't come with some clause that the money has to be kept in there or is locked in there for a time period that may not suit your aims.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals