Notice of redundancy Vs Securing new job

Options
Hi all.
Need some advice please.
Currently been with my employer 15 Yrs

21st June this year i was given a letter basically saying my 'current position is now at risk of redundancy pending the outcome of the re-organisation.'
My current job and other positions were on the table to apply for.

I was unsuccessful in securing my current position, i was offered a lesser role, which unfortunately for me is a pay cut. I took the new role, but have yet to sign the new contract.

I have infact secured a new job in another company. ( I have not told my current employer i have a new job) but instead i have approached them asking to revert back to redundancy process on Fri 22nd Sept.
They have told me i have to give them 12 weeks notice which leads up to xmas, but my new employer will only hold out 3 weeks.

My question please,

When does my 12 weeks start? As my letter was dated 21st June.
Or does the date start when i told HR i wanted to revert back to the redundancy process which was last fri 22nd Sept.

If i tell my current employer i have a new job will they pay early redundancy?

Thanks
Credit Cards £0.00
Loans £0.00
Overdraft £0.00

Comments

• IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    To be sure you really would need to pay for legal advice, they would be able to look at the letters you have received and give you the facts, but from what l've read your 21st June letter said your job was under threat of redundancy but not redundant, so it would not be from that date. I am sorry to say, but l think they may be right and the redundancy process would restart from Sep and the redundancy date would be factored from that depending on notice periods etc.

Not sure why they say you have to give them 12 weeks of notice for redundancy, surely it is them who need to give the notice.

If you hand in notice before the redundancy date then l believe that would be resigning and you would lose the redundancy payments.

Be careful about how you progress - just because you've not signed a new contract does not necessarily mean that you've not implicitly agreed to it by turning up to do your job under the contracted hours etc.

One final thing to consider. How much notice would you normally have to give to hand in notice? I doubt they would do anything if you broke any notice period, but just be careful.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    What is your contractual notice?

did you ever get to the stage of been issued with notice of termination due to redundancy?

From what you said it looks like you took an alternative job, if you were never put on notice and started another job, worked it and have been getting paid(signing a contract is not needed) then your employment continues and there is no redundancy.

Should have taken the new job with a 4 weeks trial to give you a chance to change your mind on suitability.

If you want to leave resign.
  • engineer398
    Options
    Long story short, i got a solictor involved, and they have agreed to pay for full redundancy.
    Credit Cards £0.00
    Loans £0.00
    Overdraft £0.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills