Barclaycard Platinum Travel CC

Options
13»

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Yup, thought so, you've answered the question, somewhat verbosely.

??

Did you have a point to make?
    If you did, I most certainly have missed it.

I informed that there are ATMs in Bangkok and beyond that make no charge for withdrawals.
    You suggested, erroneously, that there was a 3% charge
    Instead of admitting, for the benefit of all, that you got it wrong, you appear to have decided to embark on course of trying to put a negative spin on the advice.

What gives? Why such childish behaviour?

If anyone finds themselves in the vicinity of a Bank of China(Thailand) ATM and has a Mastercard, they have that option.
    There was no suggestion to abandon all other methods or to travel for hours out of their way to reach one.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    ??

Did you have a point to make?
    If you did, I most certainly have missed it.

I informed that there are ATMs in Bangkok and beyond that make no charge for withdrawals.
    You suggested, erroneously, that there was a 3% charge
    Instead of admitting, for the benefit of all, that you got it wrong, you appear to have decided to embark on course of trying to put a negative spin on the advice.

What gives? Why such childish behaviour?

If anyone finds themselves in the vicinity of a Bank of China(Thailand) ATM and has a Mastercard, they have that option.
    There was no suggestion to abandon all other methods or to travel for hours out of their way to reach one.

Yes, I believe that you are being overly pedantic.

The only information I could locate indicated that there was a 3% charge for MasterCard use, I see nothing you've supplied refutes this.

I also believe there is one branch that is nowhere near any location a tourist would normally be located, so it's irrelevant in any case.

No doubt you'll be suggesting travelling to Malaysia next to avoid fees on card use.

So in practical terms for virtually everyone who might need such information your suggestions are irrelevant.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Yes, I believe that you are being overly pedantic.

The only information I could locate indicated that there was a 3% charge for MasterCard use, I see nothing you've supplied refutes this.

I also believe there is one branch that is nowhere near any location a tourist would normally be located, so it's irrelevant in any case.

No doubt you'll be suggesting travelling to Malaysia next to avoid fees on card use.

So in practical terms for virtually everyone who might need such information your suggestions are irrelevant.

That is rather ironic as it looks to me that you are the pedant.

I simply stated a fact in that there is an option of fee free ATMs in Thailand. You are the one who appears to be trying to nitpick. To what end may I ask?

There are in fact NINE branches, so your suggestion that "there is one branch that is nowhere near any location a tourist would normally be located" is more than odd.

You appear determined to embarrass yourself by posting clearly erroneous statements.

If would have taken you ten seconds to discover how many branches and where they are located.

Since you appear incapable, I'll do it for you. I actually thought you were joking, but it appears that you really do need my help.

http://www.bankofchina.com/th/en/aboutus/ab3/
    Chiang Mai Branch

Nakhon Ratchasima Branch

Head Office

Ratchada Branch

Rayong Branch

Talad Thai Branch

Bangna Branch

Khon Kaen Branch

Hat Yai Branch

So there is an branch in Silom. Very popular with tourists. A couple of hundred metres from Chong Nonsi BTS

For anyone staying in between Saphan Taksin(river) and Siam Square, it's not inconvenient.
    Perhaps you imagine all tourists congregate in a single place and don't travel around.
    I've certainly been to Hat Yai a few times. Chiang Mai too. Travelling a kilometre further in Chiang Mai to get to a fee free ATM is not a big drama for a backpacker keeping to a budget
    If you've a debit card such as Starling Bank and can only pull the equivalent of £250 at a time, those 220 baht fees can soon add up.
    So a 40 to 50 baht return trip on the BTS can be worthwhile, especially if you can and need to withdraw on more than one card to obtain 20,000 baht for travel expenses etc.

So once again, it is another option.

Please try to refrain from embarrassing yourself further. If the information is not useful to you, ignore it. it may be useful to someone else.

If you can't even find the locations and still insist that there is a phantom 3% charge, there is not much I can do to help you. Keep to carrying cash.

For everyone else, they can make a note of the locations and make use of the ATM if convenient. If not, there are the cash and over the counter options.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure