Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

edited 18 November 2017 at 10:49AM in Debt Free Diaries
13.7K replies 771.9K views

Replies

• HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    12.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you not use the car till Saturday? I didn't realise mine had run out till the tax renewal didn't go through, was horrified but had driven it for a couple of months without realising. Probably pure luck that I don't drive in the city. Didn't drive it again once I knew though.

Everything crossed that the MOT goes ok
    You are allowed to drive the car to get an mot even after the old one has expired so if you don't use the car until Saturday you should be fine. I would be wary about driving it otherwise as number plate recognition/ car databases means that police can pick up cars with no mot and issue fines.

Thanks both. We won't use the car until Saturday and then fingers crossed that it passes. It will have to be buses for a few days :(.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £1,500/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £50/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300
  • please-let-me-be-luckyplease-let-me-be-lucky Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed that the car passes no problem on Saturday Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida

https://www.facebook.com/Makingmemoriesfor3outof4ofus/
    12.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Lucky.
  • elizabethhullelizabethhull Forumite
    653 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    In better news it is one year today since we paid off our credit card debts :beer:. It's been a very strange year, but at least we don't have any consumer debt. If we could afford to we would celebrate.

I did the weekly food shop at Mr T this morning. It came in on budget at £58 :T. As DS1 gave me some money to buy him halloween chocs, this took it over £60 and we got a petrol voucher for 10p off a litre :T.

A whole year is really something to be proud of. I'm sure you remember how miserable debt made you - a little celebratory jig is free !
  • OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    3.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry about going self-managed and receiving phone calls. Like you, no one ever knew about my debts either. OH and I have lived together since the 1970s but chose not to marry. It's a relationship that's lasted longer than many marriages of our contempories;). We have different surnames and totally separate bank and financial accounts. We pay the household bills 50/50 and I have managed to keep my dire financial state secret from OH for reasons I don't feel I can go into here. Sorry. He is unbelievably astute with money but never spends it. Good job we are both happy with a frugal life eh? It was quite a balancing act with my disposable money especially where food was concerned even when on a SC DMP but he never twigged:j. I became a very astute shopper.

I was with SC for nearly 4 and a half years and then decided to self-manage after lots of advice on the DMP support thread on here. I wanted to cut my payments right back (beyond the level SC approved of) so I could get some savings together to be able to offer F&Fs eventually. I had no other savings. I was very wary about doing it in case my creditors started to phone again and OH should find out about my debts. I needn't have worried because I've only had a couple of phone calls altogether in over a year since I've self-managed. You can write to/phone your creditors and stipulate that you do not give them permission to contact you by phone and only want contact in writing. They have to obey this request so long as you don't just disappear off their radar and you always respond to letters they send you.

Incidentally, I had to drop my repayments drastically once for about 3 months when I was with SC because of a massive vet bill and a car repair. I phoned them and they were very co-operative. If you want to stay with them I'd advise giving them a call first before you go self-managed. If you have a valid reason for lowering repayments they'll understand. You can't pay them what you don't have. Self-management is easy to set up and administer though. It must be, even I can do it:rotfl:

Thanks for the reassuring post CB,I'm going to wait until November's pay day to work out how much money I will be earning on my new hours then I'm calling SC to tell them I need to drop my payments,I've reduced my hours due to a chronic illness (Fibromyalgia) and was advised to do so by our occupational health doctor so at least I do have a good excuse

I have been very sneaky in covering my track I removed my phone number from all the info my creditors had,I also did as you advised and told them they can only contact me in writing and just to be on the safe side I unplugged the landline for a couple of months so no one could call:rotfl: my landline is never used and my family only ever call me on my mobile so I knew I could unplug it,I have a new number on my mobile too so they can't call that either I still worry they will get hold of my number and phone me though:eek:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £2,911Total Now Owed = £14,719
    Emergency Fund = £1000 Xmas savings = £200
    General savings = £200
  • OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    3.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I seem to have high jacked your diary Hairy and I hope the car passes it's mot,I've never learned to drive and rely on buses, I am glad in some ways that I never bothered as cars seem to cause lots of problems in one way or another and even if I could drive I can't afford to run a car now anyway
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £2,911Total Now Owed = £14,719
    Emergency Fund = £1000 Xmas savings = £200
    General savings = £200
  • edited 1 November 2018 at 9:10AM
    HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    12.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 November 2018 at 9:10AM
    A whole year is really something to be proud of. I'm sure you remember how miserable debt made you - a little celebratory jig is free !

Thank you Elizabeth :). Being massively in debt would certainly makes us feel worse right now.
    Sorry I seem to have high jacked your diary Hairy and I hope the car passes it's mot,I've never learned to drive and rely on buses, I am glad in some ways that I never bothered as cars seem to cause lots of problems in one way or another and even if I could drive I can't afford to run a car now anyway

I don't mind OBL :). I can't drive either, another thing we have in common :).

We didn't have a car for three years as we couldn't afford one. But then two years ago DH's brother gave us a car that he didn't need and some money to tax/insure it. The trouble is we have to pay to run it now and cars are expensive. It's much easier for DH to get to meetings and to see customers if we do have a car though.
    12.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm off to my volunteering this morning. I nearly decided not to go last night because I was so stressed, but then decided there's no point in sitting at home worrying. I'm building up work experience by going and it will be a distraction.

We had some heavy rain last night, but I think (hope) it's going to be dry today. I need to leave a bit earlier as DH normally drops me off in the morning but I'll have to walk today. Luckily it's not far.
  • edited 1 November 2018 at 9:33AM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    edited 1 November 2018 at 9:33AM
    We made all our creditors offers on the same day. Well, we posted them all a letter the same day and included our SOA from Stepchange. Then we rang them after a week to say did you get the letter? and how about it? Most of them said yes on the phone :T. A couple wanted more info and one awkward one took three months to say yes :mad:.

They all wanted to know if we'd offered our other creditors the same percentage as them.

The awkward one wanted proof that other creditors had accepted 50% :mad:. DH mentioned he had diabetes, high blood pressure etc. The awkward creditor wanted a doctors letter to prove it :mad:. Once we obtained and sent the doctors letter the awkward one finally said yes :T.

Thanks so much, HH, for answering my question and explaining so clearly how you went about it. I now recall reading about the hoops you had to jump through and having to provide medical information for the awkward one. I'm so pleased everything worked out so well for you and your family:T:beer::j

I'm worried about the percentage situation. I have 2 debts of the same size the 2 smallest ones, which are UE according to AAD but which the creditors had provided CCA information for and said in their covering letters were actually Enforceable. I was going to start with them and offer a very low amount and if they were unwilling to accept counter with the information that as I've been reliably informed the agreements are UE they are lucky to be getting even a penny. Maybe not put as cheekily as that but you know what I mean:rotfl:.

My biggest remaining debt of the 5, which is almost half of the total I still owe overall, is to Lloyds who have been difficult throughout (even pre DMP when I didn't even owe them anything:eek:) and still own the debt themselves. I can't see them playing ball somehow:(. I certainly don't think they'll accept the same low % that the smaller/UE ones would. If I offer Lloyds a bigger % I doubt the 2 other Enforceable ones would accept a much lower one should they know about it. That's really the thing that's stopping me get on and start offering. I don't want to offer the same % to all and if any ask me I don't know what to tell them:o. Would they be able to find that information out from anywhere? Checking my credit file I suppose but are they allowed to do that?

You also said some wanted more info when you phoned them. Could I please ask what it was they needed to know other than you told them in your offer letter? Just the type of info they needed not the specifics.

Maybe I should start with the 2 UE ones straight away and get them out of the way. I could then tell the others when they ask further down the line that the paid-off ones had been UE. Apart from the Lloyds one which I'm leaving until last (wimp that I am:o) I'm concerned about the 2 middle order debts. I shall offer them roughly the same percentage as each other, obviously more than the UE ones so if they ask it's OK. I just wonder how any of them react to knowing one or more of the debts has been cleared sooner rather than theirs. I had never planned to pay all creditors the same %, I'd kind of worked out a sliding scale based on what I can actually afford, how big the outstanding debt still is and how likely they might be to accept it (sold on or original creditor). I may have overcomplicated things as usual

Sorry to hijack your diary, HH, especially so early in the day:o. I know you always accept these takeovers very generously:A but I feel guilty doing it anyway. As you know OH doesn't know about my debts and apart from one person who knows a tiny smidgen of it neither does any living soul. It's all beginning to get to me at the moment and stress me out. I hardly slept a wink last night and not for once because I was cold. I just couldn't switch my mind off:(
    12.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't mind Carboot :). One of our creditors was Lloyds if that's any help and they weren't the awkward one. The awkward one was Asset Link. Two of our debts hadn't been sold on and they still said yes to 50%.

Try not to worry, although I did get very stressed when we were doing it :o.