Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bet the curtains look nice and bright once they are up Hairy.

Re table clothes - I used sheets instead once years ago when I was first married and having a bit of a party. Couldn’t afford a tablecloth!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Once you get your EF together , then maybe you can start targeting the house outside . Get the jobs quoted for and take it from there .

Hope the curtains are ok after the wash and dry.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    All sorts left to do HH I'd be on here all night if I started listing them. but the major bits are done at least.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've used a sheet too Seaside, couldn't find a cheap ready made tablecloth that was long enough. The table cloth that wasn't long enough is now the front door curtain!
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Bet the curtains look nice and bright once they are up Hairy.

Re table clothes - I used sheets instead once years ago when I was first married and having a bit of a party. Couldn’t afford a tablecloth!
    I've used a sheet too Seaside, couldn't find a cheap ready made tablecloth that was long enough. The table cloth that wasn't long enough is now the front door curtain!

Very versatile! We did use an Indian throw as a curtain once in our old house :D.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Once you get your EF together , then maybe you can start targeting the house outside . Get the jobs quoted for and take it from there .

Hope the curtains are ok after the wash and dry.
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    All sorts left to do HH I'd be on here all night if I started listing them. but the major bits are done at least.

We'll have to try and save up for individual jobs I guess. We asked our builder for a quote to do the bathroom while he was sorting the leak, just for interest.

We have quite a large bathroom with just a sink and bath in it, and a small room next to it with just a toilet in it. It's damp, shabby and crumbling, with stains on the carpet and mouldy tiles.

To replaster, have new tiles, shower cubicle installed, new bath, toilet added and extractor fan put in would cost £5000 :eek::eek::eek:.

We can dream :o.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anyway that was a moan fest so I'll try and be more positive now :).

Not a problem to have a moan every now and then, Hairy, It can be a good thing to get things off your chest. You always have plenty of optimistic things to say whatever life hits you with, that's why we love visiting your diary:T:beer:

Incidentally, to put it into perspective, your list of things that need doing on your house is just like the first page of a bookful of faults that need fixing on ours:rotfl:. The worse part is that OH, who has no debts and is miserly to the extreme:(, could pay for most of them out of his savings. He always works on the principal of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' and totally ignores ongoing maintenance unless he can do it himself for nothing. It has to be totally knackered, useless and unfit for purpose before he will spend any money. By then major work is usually needed as things have gone too far for just repairing:eek:. Anything that involves getting a man/men in to deal with it is a no-no until things are desperate as they are now.. OH is quite handy but is a pensioner now and there's a limit to how much he can physically do on the big, heavy jobs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Coincidentally, OH was throwing out some old paperwork yesterday and one of the pages was a 1997 quote for some 'essential' work that we needed on the house :rotfl:. It would have cost over £5000 even back then. Needless to say we didn't have it done and it is now absolutely desperate. Goodness knows how much the quote for it will be now:eek:, that's when he actually steels himself to get builders in to give him some quotes;).
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Similar house issues, and OH who has the skills but not the time at the moment. When he hasn't been working we haven't had the money for the materials.

We used some foam tape on one of the wooden bedroom windows, reduced the drafts significantly and wasn't very much at all.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Not a problem to have a moan every now and then, Hairy, It can be a good thing to get things off your chest. You always have plenty of optimistic things to say whatever life hits you with, that's why we love visiting your diary:T:beer:

Thank you Carboot that's a very nice thing to say :).
    Coincidentally, OH was throwing out some old paperwork yesterday and one of the pages was a 1997 quote for some 'essential' work that we needed on the house :rotfl:. It would have cost over £5000 even back then. Needless to say we didn't have it done and it is now absolutely desperate. Goodness knows how much the quote for it will be now:eek:, that's when he actually steels himself to get builders in to give him some quotes;).

:eek: to expensive jobs. It must be very frustrating for you if OH can afford to pay for the work but won't. I guess he may have to one day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure