Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    National Trust now do monthly payment membership too if that helps Xx

Thanks Lucky :).

It would be safer to pay upfront while we have the money as our income can be up and down, so monthly payments can be tricky some months. I wish we had a regular income as it would be much easier to budget :mad:.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Happy Friday HHOD.

So glad your eating is going well. Do you drink plenty too as this helps?

Re the marketing for your business, I'm sure you probably know all this but just incase and plus it might not be right for your business!
    I do the marketing for the school I work at and I use all the social media which is obviously free. Is there any local selling/location groups of Facebook which you can advertise in.
    Round here we have a local magazine which drops through the door monthly with ads and local stories in. If you had something similar maybe you could advertise in there, this would be paid for though.
    I have made good relations with the shops etc in the village and they allow us to put up posters etc. Hope this helps, if not il shut up now!!!

xx

I don't like water much but try to drink a glass with meals, but I mainly drink tea at home :).

We do market via social media and are going to try sponsored Facebook and Twitter ads as an experiment. We also get business through business networking and blog posts etc. Hard work but can be effective.

Your job sounds interesting MTG :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,388 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I did the paid for advertising on FB for a charity that I am involved in & thought it was not cost effective for us.
    Every buisiness/charity is different though.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,705 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We joined the national trust and it meant a lot of free days out. It can be cost effective in so many ways, of you use it. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    I did the paid for advertising on FB for a charity that I am involved in & thought it was not cost effective for us.
    Every buisiness/charity is different though.

That's interesting beanie. We thought we'd try it with a limited budget and then monitor how effective it is.
    Nicnak wrote: »
    We joined the national trust and it meant a lot of free days out. It can be cost effective in so many ways, of you use it. x

That's what we were thinking Nicnak, free days out for a whole year :T and it would get us out of the house more :T especially DH who is quite sedentary and needs more exercise. I'm looking forward to it as I hate being stuck in the house all the time :D.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Another day of de-cluttering and the office is looking so much better. We emptied a whole drawer of the filing cabinet and now we have room to file the stuff that's been piled up on the desks :j. We also did a bit of planning.

I did a YG survey and a 40p PA survey. It was a NSD apart from £5 for the chocolates for our friend.

DS1 and DS3 are getting their forms signed now and I'm cooking dinner. Must check it's not burning :eek:.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,357 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been feeling a bit flat too HH :( Not been as good as you with the AFDs as caved in last night. I remember only too well the "joys" of not knowing what income you've got coming in from when Mr SA was self employed, it's a real pain.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I am very pleased with our £3 lampshade though :).

Hee hee!
    Happy friday everyone :).

DS3 hasn't got up yet, he's going to be late for college if he doesn't get a move on :mad:.

Today's plans are carry on the great office de-clutter and plan our work goals for next week. This will include marketing objectives, improvements needed to our website and the general direction to take the business in during 2018.

I will also look out for surveys. It won't be NSD because DH is going to our friend's house tonight with DS3 to get his Citizencard application signed. DS3 can't get his wages until he's shown the restaurant photo id :eek:. So we will buy our friend a box of chocs as a thank you.

Apart from that it should be a NSD (hopefully) and it will be another AFD. I haven't drunk any alcohol in 2018 yet :rotfl::T.

Have a great Friday everyone :).

Your de-cluttering on the office is going gangbusters Hairy!:j . And well done on the alcohol as well - it’s still five whole days!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not again HHOD burning the tea ! Glad your office is getting sorted , I love a neat workplace , I work better .
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    With both of us self-employed it can be a real problem at times :(.

I expect we'll feel less flat soon when we get used to our normal routine. Thank goodness it's Friday :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure