Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    What a sound idea! You could probably find one of those accounts with delayed access for better interest as well, because the EF would be your initial buffer zone.

Travel... nowadays I suppose a lot of it is just sitting there while the pilot does the work, but a bit of the image of vast distances on foot (Lord of the Rings style) or transatlantic voyages that took weeks or first man on the moon still lingers with us. And as parents we have that instinct that says we can't be with them instantly if they don't feel well or something - but as young adults they will use what they've learned from us already to solve any 'situations' themselves. Then in my experience they come back more knowledgeable than we are and in a good position to advise us!

I'll research one of those accounts Cherry.

DS2 will be a more experienced traveller than me because I have never left Europe and have only been to France, Italy, Greece and Austria (all fabulous places).

He must be learning so much and as long as he looks after himself will come back with more confidence and maturity. He should be on his way to New Jersey now :eek:. He's texting less frequently so is probably tired :(.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    abba1772 wrote: »
    Glad to hear ds is safely on his travels.......sounds like a fair trek xx

It certainly is Abba. He really wanted to do this, so I'm glad he's able to fulfill his dream. I probably won't worry quite so much if he does it again :o.

I managed to spend £102 in Mr T today :eek:. Way over my budget of £74 and I didn't even buy anything for Christmas :(.

I bought Nescafe (which we didn't need yet) because it was £5 reduced from £7.49, and DH wanted razor blades (£8 for 4 :eek: he'll have to grow a beard :mad:) and Rennies (£3.50).

I don't know how it went so over budget :(. Still with DS2 away we should get through less food this week. I think we all need to eat less :mad:.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,377 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that DS is doing well so far.
    Take care :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks beanie :).
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Glad to hear all is well thus far. Well done to both you and DS for being so brave Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope the rest of DS's travels go smoothly xx
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Lucky and jwil, fingers crossed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So happy DS is off on his journey safely. He will be home before you can blink , with all his dirty washing.

Hope you sleep well and when you wake up he will be there on a very exciting adventure.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I forgot about the dirty washing Cumbria :eek:.

His plane is a bit late but he should land at his second stopover fairly soon. Then he'll arrive at New Orleans early tomorrow morning. I'll probably wake up and check my phone in the middle of the night :o.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can track flights as well , so if you wake up in the night you can see where his flight is. I use it when my kids go anywhere , then I know they have arrived and am happy with that. Getting a text is a bonus .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback