bank charges

pauly48
pauly48 Posts: 10
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
i rang santander about my account as it was £153.45 in arrears from 2009 the bank are saying i bought 02 top up but no money was in my account i didnt think could go over draw with it being bascic bank account .now santander have cleared the money and no default on my credit file i havent had any money dont understand what there saying really . thank you [Text removed by Forum Team]

Comments

• You can potentially go overdrawn on any account. The key is not to spend more than you have in there.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,908
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    didnt think could go over draw with it being bascic bank account

Yes you can. For example, if you wrote a cheque with a guarantee card then the bank would have to pay it even if you had nothing. Or you did a card payment below the floor limit for checking balances. Or where a larger transaction takes longer to arrive than the earmark remains on the account.

It is not the role of the bank to control your spending. If is your responsibility. That means understanding what you have in your account and what you have spent even if it hasnt come off the bank account yet.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    pauly48 wrote: »
    i rang santander about my account as it was £153.45 in arrears from 2009 the bank are saying i bought 02 top up but no money was in my account i didnt think could go over draw with it being bascic bank account .now santander have cleared the money and no default on my credit file i havent had any money dont understand what there saying really . thank you p.mcbarron

That seems a large amount just for a mobile top up (even with bank charges - although possible with interest).

Errors on credit files do occur, so you can ask to check this if you believe it's wrongly attributed to your account. AFAIK only customers who have requested specific credit limits or had bad credit in the past will enable the bank to refuse any eg online or telephone top up which would take you below a Nil balance in your current account. Many banks and accounts have a small leeway of £10+ in order to avoid charges and interest.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • pauly48
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2022 at 9:00AM
    yes i had just a normal bank account so wouldnt of tryed to pay for somethink i didnt get any where really on phone to santander i had to leave the bank bk in 2009 as my benfit at time went in there no i payed some bank charges never got all bk and the £153 i think is what it has got to over the years for being over drawn there had closed my account was really wanted to no if i can claim anythink bk of the bank thank you [Text removed by Forum Team]
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,402
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    No you can't.
    But you can ask them t waive the interest applied and pay it off
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • pauly48
    Forumite
    i am trying to find out if i can get any money bk from santander as i no didnt get any bank charges bk the £153.45p must be insterst added on for being overdrawn as a payment went out for £10 to 02
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    This thread appears to be going in circles.

See post 6.
  • the £153.45p must be insterst added on for being overdrawn as a payment went out for £10 to 02
    That's exactly how it works, you borrow money, you pay interest. The longer you borrow, the more interest you pay. Have you phoned them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure