Wetherspoon's hotels: cannot pay in cash anymore

As of yesterday, you cannot pay for your room in a Wetherspoon's hotel with cash.

They say it is a new security policy and they need a "paper trail" for ID purposes.

They cannot accept walk-in guests either (pre-booked only).

Wouldn't want anyone to be stranded without accommodation because of this - I used to share rooms with friends and we'd each pay half in cash on arrival.

My friend was checking in to a single room yesterday and it was lucky I was there with her at reception because she had the cash, but not enough in her account to pay with her card. She'd pre-booked her room a couple of months ago and was not warned of this policy change prior to arrival. In the end, she gave me the cash and I paid on my card. ....which doesn't really solve the supposed "paper trail" reasoning behind all this!

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You couldn't pay me any amount of cash to stay in either the Saltoun or the Gordon Highlander! :eek:

Dunno about the other ones?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    In the end, she gave me the cash and I paid on my card. ....which doesn't really solve the supposed "paper trail" reasoning behind all this!

In a way it does, in that if she were to do something untoward (eg wrecking the room) - or the police came knocking on a criminal hunt .... they'd have some form of ID to say "this person used their card to pay for that room" and then they could knock on your door.

With cash ... they just have "a random person stayed here, we've no idea who they were at all, this is the name they gave: Ms Tiggywinkle".

In future, terrorists and criminals on the run will have to find other hotels to stay at, where no checks are made.
  • It's been the policy of Premier Inn for ages.
  • Hi,

I use plastic as much as I can in shops, I like the contactless cards, wouldn't carry cash at all if pubs would take plastic, suppose I could stop drinking. :beer:
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hi,

I use plastic as much as I can in shops, I like the contactless cards, wouldn't carry cash at all if pubs would take plastic, suppose I could stop drinking. :beer:

Pubs I go to take plastic
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I would imagine most pubs prefer plastic nowadays
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts