Does PPI reclaim include stand alone critical illness and permanent disability insur?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
6 replies 4.2K views
themadsingerthemadsinger Forumite
6 Posts
I have had separate policies for critical illness salary cover (Canada Life) and permanent disability insurance (Aegon), each taking a monthly premium. They were sold to me by an IFA a long time ago. I just wanted to check whether this would be something which would fall under the PPI umbrella and which Is should try to claim on? It wasn't linked to a particular product so I am thinking probably not but want to make sure

Thanks

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I just wanted to check whether this would be something which would fall under the PPI umbrella and which Is should try to claim on?
    Critical Illness and Disability policies have nothing in common with PPI, though it's certainly true that they could all potentially have been mis-sold. Difficult to see what complaint you might make, however.

You certainly can't make an "umbrella" PPI complaint about insurance which is not PPI!:eek:
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    And whilst we are at it, your car insurance, house insurance and life assurance does not either.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • OK. No need to get sarcastic. The critical illness is a form of payment protection insurance - it pays an amount in the event you cant work, but is a stand alone rather than linked to a loan, but has some similarity compared with car, house etc insurance.

I was just asking.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The critical illness is a form of payment protection insurance

No it is not. Critical illness cover comes under a totally different section of the FCA rulebook. It is provided by a different type of insurance company to PPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    The critical illness is a form of payment protection insurance
    Critical Illness is not PPI and has no overlap with it.

There is also no PPI "umbrella"of different types of insurance, though there are some alternative names for the policies depending on the institution which sold it.

Remember that it's not somehow wrong simply to have insurance and it's only PPI which was widely mis-sold.

If you have a complaint about your CI & Disability policies than make them, but don't try to apply PPI complaint reasons simply because you've "discovered" you had them with your mortgage.

You won't get a refund with that kind of logic, I'm afraid.

You are comparing chalk and cheese.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals