Service Charges added to you bill in Restaurants

Options
I hate the concept when restaurants automatically add a 10% or a 12.5% service charge to your bill, especially when it includes adding this sum to an already inflated price of a bottle of wine. I much prefer to leave a tip for the waiter or waitress or in the case when the service or food is poor not leave a tip at all. I don't really like making a scene and complain unless the food is inedible. What are customers legal rights when a service charge is added to the bill can you ask for it to be taken off. Not all restaurants add service charges unless there is a party of 6 or more people which is fairly standard.I much prefer to go back to the old fashioned way of tipping (or not):mad:

Comments

• marliepanda
    Options
    I hate the concept when restaurants automatically add a 10% or a 12.5% service charge to your bill, especially when it includes adding this sum to an already inflated price of a bottle of wine. I much prefer to leave a tip for the waiter or waitress or in the case when the service or food is poor not leave a tip at all. I don't really like making a scene and complain unless the food is inedible. What are customers legal rights when a service charge is added to the bill can you ask for it to be taken off. Not all restaurants add service charges unless there is a party of 6 or more people which is fairly standard.I much prefer to go back to the old fashioned way of tipping (or not):mad:

Every receipt I have seen either a) doesnt have a service charge built in or b ) makes it quite obvious it is optional (other than large parties)

You can simply ask to pay the amount without the amount, so for arguments sake, your bill is £60, the bill say £66 with the charge, you say 'I'll pay £60 thanks.' No need for a scene.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it is clearly stated e.g. on entry, in the menu etc then if you don't want to pay it then you don't eat there. Otherwise staying and ordering indicates your acceptance.
  • SouthUKMan
    Options
    If a service charge is clearly advertised prior to you ordering - for example, it is printed on the menu that you view outside of the restaurant - then yes, you must pay. Think of it as forming part of a contract between you and the restaurant.

If there is no notice clearly advertised and a service charge is added to the bill - then don't pay it if you don't want to.

Personally I agree with the op... I hate restaurants that sneakily add a service charge. They do it knowing that 95% (made up figure but I reckon fairly close to reality!) will either not notice or will simply pay - either because they genuinely have had a good experience or simply don't want to create a fuss.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Always been happy to leave a tip if I get a good service, but the two things that I hate:
    1) Having automatically added a tip, the credit card machine also asks if you want to add a tip;
    2) Since prices in shops, ordering flights online, etc, must be the full amount (contain VAT etc), then I think it should be core price in a restaurant. If there is a mandatory service charge, then it should be part of the price by default. (I guess where it is conditional eg. 6 or more, that's different, but I've been to restaurants with a charge for any number).
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Not sure if the law has changed since 2005 but Martin said "Legally you can't be made to pay a service charge"

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=34412&highlight=service+charge
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As I understand, you can't be made to pay an optional service charge, but if the menu clearly states "service charge of x%" will be added, that may be contractual.

I just wish they'd up the prices by that percentage, and pay their staff better if they're going to make it mandatory.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure