Do cats miss their deceased companions?

Options
124»

Comments

• wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We had two rescue cats - I think they were brothers. They slept together and played together and seemed to get on fine. One died on the road one day and the other was and still is completely oblivious and still happy - even enjoying the greater amount of fuss!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    My Bengal cat was run over and killed by a car two years ago. She was very close to my other cat. They grew up together. My other cat witnessed it and she came crawling into the house on her haunches. She spent the whole evening as in shock, lying with her eyes wide open, staring. Then she was trying desperately to see the body before it was buried. After that she was very clingy for a week and the whole atmosphere in the house was weird. We got another Bengal to bring things back to normal but the other cat went awol for a couple of days.

Eventually, they made friends but they scrap and are not soulmates like she used to be with the first bengal. I still talk to her about Mia and she seems to know what I am saying.

That's so sad.
    I think I remember photos of your first 2 Bengals.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    Which is fine if the cat dies at home, some cats and other pets are in the vets when they die or have to be PTS.

I brought mine home from the vet's each time. The others got to see them, sniff them, watch me bury them and then sat out in the garden together for a long time afterwards, looking at the grave(s), but were then OK. Made me even worse at the time, as it felt like they were almost holding a funeral service (none of them spent any significant time outside and certainly not together, so all coming out and watching/staying after I'd gone in was something they had never done before or since), but I think it was the right decision for their understanding.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    That's so sad.
    I think I remember photos of your first 2 Bengals.

It might sound daft but I still haven't got over it. I am not tearful or anything any more but it makes me feel terribly sad when I think about it. I think its because she was so young and beautiful and it feels like a wasted life.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    It might sound daft but I still haven't got over it. I am not tearful or anything any more but it makes me feel terribly sad when I think about it. I think its because she was so young and beautiful and it feels like a wasted life.
    Not daft at all, it's made me feel sad. :grouphug:
  • bunyarra
    Options
    Our 12 year old Birman - one of a pair from unmatched litters was PTS after years of problems from a car running him over. Despite never really getting on, the other took to sitting on the lawn and howling at the fence every morning and looking around after each howl. He moans a lot more around the house and will meow out the window at random times.

All very different behaviour from before .. very sad to hear him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure