Sports Direct Credit Note Expiry in US Date Format

Options
I can't see anything else on in the forums but other people must have had this problem:

I have a credit note from a Sports Direct 'refund' This states the following:

expiry: 07/10/2017

This would appear to indicate the 7th October 2017 i.e dd/mm/yyy format, the credit is still valid.

I have just tried to spend this, but have been told I can't as the date is in the American format instead meaning the expiry date was actually July the 10th 2017.

At no point does it say anywhere or has anyone mentioned that the expiry date should be in the US format. What is more confusing is that the sale is in the UK format so the note is using two date formats.

I am taking this complaint to Sport Direct, but what are my rights in terms of them honouring the validity the date as written?

Comments

• beeg0d
    beeg0d Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your rights are to have the voucher honored. Using the US date system (unless the voucher specifically states it is mm/dd/yyyy) makes it ambigious (can be read both ways).

69 (1) of the Consumer Rights Act 2015
    If a term in a consumer contract, or a consumer notice, could have different meanings, the meaning that is most favourable to the consumer is to prevail.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2017 at 7:29PM
    Options
    Do their receipts have the date the right way round, is a credit note printed on a receipt slip and what is the date of issue?

Looking at examples that Google throws up I think your credit note is faulty and you've been fobbed off. It would be worth taking copies of some of the examples on Google images to support your case.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sports+direct+credit+note&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRiNT3sbTWAhVgF8AKHcFDDv8Q_AUIEigC&biw=800&bih=1232#imgrc=d0d-JqHulxk-lM:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sports+direct+credit+note&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRiNT3sbTWAhVgF8AKHcFDDv8Q_AUIEigC&biw=800&bih=1232#imgrc=t_MrmRHUMPu8RM:
  • 2017_M.S.E
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

You are correct that their other credit notes are in UK format, so there must have been a problem with their printing. This has probably been fixed at some stage, but I wonder how many other customers are out there who would have been affected by this error.
  • 2017_M.S.E
    Options
    Well all I have managed to get back from Sports Direct's Customer Services so far is them telling me that the voucher has expired.

Not helpful at all I'm sure you agree.

I would have thought that having sent a picture of the credit note, and pointing out that their other credit note expiry dates are in UK format would be sufficient for them to put this right.

Is there anything else I can do bar write a letter of complaint?
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Are there any other indications of expiry on the note, such as 'expire 3 months from issue' with say an April date?

If there's a way to get out of it, SD will get out of it...
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    2017_M.S.E wrote: »
    Is there anything else I can do bar write a letter of complaint?
    I don't understand that sentence.

Why are you reluctant to write a letter of complaint?

Surely that is the most sensible thing to do, and include that quote from the CRA in post#2.
  • 2017_M.S.E
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    I don't understand that sentence.

Why are you reluctant to write a letter of complaint?

Surely that is the most sensible thing to do, and include that quote from the CRA in post#2.

I am not reluctant to write a letter of complaint. I was hoping to get a simple resolution with their Customer Services when common sense should surely prevail and was seeing if anyone could recommend anything based on their experiences of dealing with this company. Obviously the more info I can get from the helpful people on this forum the better!

I will be writing one tomorrow if I haven't heard anything by the end of the day.
  • 2017_M.S.E
    Options
    Are there any other indications of expiry on the note, such as 'expire 3 months from issue' with say an April date?

If there's a way to get out of it, SD will get out of it...

There is absolutely nothing to indicate any period apart from the expiry date. You are absolutely right, and I am sure that Sports Direct will probably sit on this until after the UK date on the Credit note expires next month!
  • firefox1956
    Options
    expiry: 07/10/2017..........
    On a Credit Note issued by a retailer in the UK that would mean to me & probably 99% of other people 7th October 2017.
    Sports Direct a just being evasive in my opinion.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why was the credit note issued in the first place? (The reason might strengthen your case. e.g. if it was issued because you returned some faulty goods then you weren't obliged to accept a credit note in the first place - you were entitled to a refund to the original method of payment).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure