Disabled entitelement

Options
Hi There

I was disabled in a freak accident in January this year. I am physically disabled due to a broken nerve going ot my quadriceps. I have doctors letter to show this. i have difficulty walking, cannot walk up down stairs, slopes, it is an utter nightmare. I was previously very able bodied and very active doing triathlons. So this has been a very tough experience.

My question is is how do i go about applying for disability allowance? I am not able to work at full capacity any more. am in constant pain, have massive extra cost burdens (new car due to having to drive an automatic, new footwear, gym membership for rehab etc) and i have heard that there is benefits available to help disabled people out. i also would like a blue badge sorting.

My leg will heal in time the doctors say, however this is still many months off.

I have never claimed anything like this before so dont even know where to start. i had a look at one site but it was full of all sorts of forms which i just got confused in.

any advice on how/where to apply would be brilliant.

a frustrated jim

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2017 at 1:05PM
    Options
    Hi There

I was disabled in a freak accident in January this year. I am physically disabled due to a broken nerve going ot my quadriceps. I have doctors letter to show this. i have difficulty walking, cannot walk up down stairs, slopes, it is an utter nightmare. I was previously very able bodied and very active doing triathlons. So this has been a very tough experience.

My question is is how do i go about applying for disability allowance? I am not able to work at full capacity any more. am in constant pain, have massive extra cost burdens (new car due to having to drive an automatic, new footwear, gym membership for rehab etc) and i have heard that there is benefits available to help disabled people out. i also would like a blue badge sorting.

My leg will heal in time the doctors say, however this is still many months off.

I have never claimed anything like this before so dont even know where to start. i had a look at one site but it was full of all sorts of forms which i just got confused in.

a frustrated jim

I believe for PIP your symptoms have to have been present for 3 months and likely to last longer than 9 months (I do not know blue badge descriptors, but a casual glance sees them mentioning 'permanent' a few times)

it just threw me when you said your leg will heal 'in months' it may be if your leg will eventually heal you won't qualify as disabled, but temporarily injured.

is this going to be a permanent issue for yourself?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi There

a frustrated jim
    Marliepanda is correct for PIP it must be at least 3 months and expect it to last a further 9 months. Your comment about you leg eventually healing got me too. PIP is about how your conditions affect you daily and not about a diagnosis. There's PIP test you can take to see what you could possibly score.
    http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

Blue Badge criteria varies from council to council but without automatically qualifying through PIP/DLA then it's very hard. Some councils won't even consider a badge without automatically qualifying. If your condition is expected to improve then your chances are even less. Have a look at your local councils website for their criteria.
  • Poppy_flower
    Options
    Gosh poor you, that sounds terrible. I would suggest getting in touch with your local CAB for full advice on all help that you might be able to get. They will help you through the whole process including completing forms etc. Good luck
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    Hi There

a frustrated jim
    how do i go about applying for disability allowance?
    You say that you have looked at 'one site' and were confused about forms you had seen. I would say that the website you need to begin with is the 'Gov.uk' site and look at 'PIP' as any disability allowance for new claimants has moved to PIP. Here is the link to the page you need to look at:
    https://www.gov.uk/pip
    It gives you all you need to look at, gives an overview, eligibility, how to claim etc.
    You should be able to get reports from the doctors, consultants etc to send together with your claim - as evidence. Even if your leg does heal in months, as doctors say (and I wish you all the best and hope you get a full recovery) you are entitled to make a claim in the meantime, and if you are successful - as, and when you get better, all you need to do is inform them of any changes.
    i also would like a blue badge sorting.
    If they find that you are eligible for 'enhanced mobility', you will qualify for a Blue Badge.

Remember that any diagnosis, condition, (although you can give details of this in the form), they mostly need to know HOW your disability affects you in your daily life. Explain the difficulties you have, if any, relevant to the questions on the form - such as dressing, washing, making a meal, moving around etc.

If you ask for a claim form, it is overwhelming at first, but don't be put off. It is easy to feel this way, and think that it is just too much! For me, I took it one question, one page at a time, and slowly work through it. I filled mine in on my own, however, many get help filling this form through CAB etc.

Also remember that you have nothing to lose in applying. I know all too well that when an accident happens which is life changing, and find yourself disabled in many ways that it is extremely difficult. Suddenly you find everyday simple tasks (something you had taken for granted) are difficult to do, and you face difficulties each day.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TOBRUK wrote: »
    You say that you have looked at 'one site' and were confused about forms you had seen. I would say that the website you need to begin with is the 'Gov.uk' site and look at 'PIP' as any disability allowance for new claimants has moved to PIP. Here is the link to the page you need to look at:
    https://www.gov.uk/pip
    It gives you all you need to look at, gives an overview, eligibility, how to claim etc.

You should be able to get reports from the doctors, consultants etc to send together with your claim - as evidence. Even if your leg does heal in months, as doctors say (and I wish you all the best and hope you get a full recovery) you are entitled to make a claim in the meantime, and if you are successful - as, and when you get better, all you need to do is inform them of any changes.

If they find that you are eligible for 'enhanced mobility', you will qualify for a Blue Badge.

Remember that any diagnosis, condition, (although you can give details of this in the form), they mostly need to know HOW your disability affects you in your daily life. Explain the difficulties you have, if any, relevant to the questions on the form - such as dressing, washing, making a meal, moving around etc.

If you ask for a claim form, it is overwhelming at first, but don't be put off. It is easy to feel this way, and think that it is just too much! For me, I took it one question, one page at a time, and slowly work through it. I filled mine in on my own, however, many get help filling this form through CAB etc.

Also remember that you have nothing to lose in applying. I know all too well that when an accident happens which is life changing, and find yourself disabled in many ways that it is extremely difficult. Suddenly you find everyday simple tasks (something you had taken for granted) are difficult to do, and you face difficulties each day.
    As already stated above for PIP a condition must be expected to last at least 9 months.

A person will automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if awarded at least 8 points in the "moving around" part of Mobility PIP and not just with Enhanced mobility. If a person is awarded Enhanced mobility through following and planning a journey then they will not automatically qualify for a Blue Badge.
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    Hi poppy, yes you are correct, sorry about that - I should have been more careful in my post and read through properly before I posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure