Options
2»

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ......if you are a gardener wonder why you have so many aphids :rotfl:
    To be fair, OP didn't claim to be a gardener.

I'm a gardener in the sense that I've made a living from growing plants. While I've hardly seen a wasp this year, it's had nothing to do with my skills, or lack of them.

From what I can gather, speaking with other keen gardeners who have an acre less than a mile away, insects are much more localised than I thought. They have seen hardly any butterflies, while I have had literally dozens visiting on any sunny day this summer.

I undersrtand why people don't like wasps. However, most will deliberately leave humans alone until fruit-drunk at the end of the summer. Even then, many are non-aggressive, as there are different species. None of those I've had nesting here in previous years has given me any bother at all.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tenants are not normally required or allowed to do any work on trees.

If a neighbour asked me to cut down a tree in my garden I'd make sure I NEVER cut it down.

Best option is to live with the wasps. They really are no big deal. Short term and they aren't out for blood.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    I'm a landlord.
    Our tenants have a standard AST contract, which puts the obligation on *them* to maintain the garden.

Is it anything to do with the landlord?

And this is exactly the OP's problem - landlords which try to brush off their responsibilities.

A big tree takes years to grow, is a major part of the property and can be costly to get pruned and cut back.

Why would a tenant on a AST, who may only be there for a year or two, spend out lots of money getting a tree surgeon or contractor in to manage your tree - given that was there when they arrived, and they'll only be there a year or two?

They won't, so it'll continue growing until it becomes a nuisance.

Landlords have got to be realistic - by all means expect a tenant to do basic maintenance, like keeping it tidy, cutting the lawn, bit of weeding. But expecting them to pay out for tree surgeons or contract gardeners for maintaining the landlord's tree is unrealistic, rather naive really.
  • societys_child
    Options
    Surely if this is disrupting my way of life, there's something you can try and do about it?
    Disrupting your life? I find if I don't annoy the wasps, they don't annoy me.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    It's too late for this year, but next Spring hang a false wasp's nest in your overhanging branches.

Apparently when the Queen wasp goes house-hunting she will assume that someone else has beaten her to it and move on to another location.

Hmm - perhaps you'd better get two - one for your own garden as well!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Is it possible to get pest control to locate where the wasps are and remove them from the tree? There's probably a couple of nests up there and if removed then the tree would no longer be a problem .
    Then the treee could be pruned from your side of the garden possibly

Just a thought
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it possible to get pest control to locate where the wasps are and remove them from the tree? There's probably a couple of nests up there and if removed then the tree would no longer be a problem .
    Then the treee could be pruned from your side of the garden possibly

Just a thought

It's unlikely for there to be more than one nest in the tree, and at this time of year, it is a waste of time and effort to get pest control out, when the first frosts cannot be far off. I would also imagine that the OP's use of the outdoor space is probably also tailing off for the season.

I had a wasp's nest earlier in the year, in one of my bird houses by the front door. Simply misting it with water night and morning for a week or so, saw it weaken and die off, with no risk, no collateral damage and no dramas.
  • Microhead
    Options
    Had someone from pest control out last summer to find out if there was a wasps nest in my side of the garden. He couldn't find anything, but was almost certain they had settled/coming from next door, but obviously couldn't do anything to help me out.
  • Microhead
    Options
    I'm not asking for the tree to be totally cut down, but just to be cut/pruned back (A LOT!!), as the tallness of the branches not only overhang into my side of the garden, they now cut out light to the garden!!
    I can understand from the Tenant's perspective about not wanting to do anything about it themselves, but I don't know what agreement the tenant and landlord have between them. Either way, the garden is definitely not being looked after in general!!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The law provides you with the ability to cut down overhanging branches.... the law does not insist the neighbour does it, nor pays for it.

It's that simple. Annoying, but at least you do have the right to take matters into your own hands.

I was lucky ... HUGE tree, dripping debris and creepy crawlies 24/7 - and I heard a noise... looked and there were two "tree chopping chappies" so I rushed out to say "If you're cutting back the branches overhanging my garden area then I'd like to say that you can cut the LOT back as I am not interested in trees at all ... and don't enjoy it at all" - and they said "it's coming down, the whole lot, all going, all of it".

And it's been GLORIOUS since! No dripping debris, no leaves, no creepy crawlies, no blocked gutters/drains .... lovely
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure