PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can we get a buy to let mortgage to move into at a later date, and avoid stamp duty?

Options
13»

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    saajan_12 wrote: »
    1. Fiance getting a BTL mortgage with only 20% deposit and not already being a homeowner. This will reduce the pool of lenders, so she won't get the best interest rates.. so factor the extra interest in the costs compared to just paying the SDLT

Oooh, I'd missed that %age. That's going to be a showstopper, I'd have thought.
    3. Few lenders will consider a gifted deposit from someone living in the property

True, but they won't be living there - this is the BtL...
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    andy230uk wrote: »
    my fianc!e to buy the second property on her own
    This all hinges on her being able to afford this on residential affordability terms.

If she can't, it's a non-starter.

Any lender willing to offer BTLs to non-homeowners tests affordability on a residential basis to make sure the applicant isn't buying s property to live-in while using the BTL affordability rules to "game" the system.

TBH with many lenders (under the new PRA rules) insisting the rent must be 145% of the mortgage interest at an assumed rate of 5.5% per annum, the gap between residential and BTL affordability must be narrowing.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In fact, the more I think about the sums, the more I think the BtL mortgage for her alone is going to be a non-starter...

80% LtV
    Not an existing property owner
    4.6x income

What's the likely rent? Unless rent's over £1,500/mo, you're going to be struggling for 125%, based on 5% APR repayment.

And is it even worth it?

Let's say it's £1,500 rent. After basic rate tax, that's only £30/mo over the likely mortgage repayment. That's not a lot of headroom for costs. She's going to be damn near subsidising the tenants, and that's before any rate rises, voids, big bills...

If we go for 145% at 5.5%, you'd need damn near £1,800/mo rent, although that does at least leave £200 clear between rent and repayment after tax, but before other costs. Assuming you self-manage. 10% management fee's going to take that straight back to pocket change.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2017 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Even these experienced landlords were new landlords once. Get a grip!

Who did research first I assume and were not "accidental landlords".

I'm not a landlord but only know some basics from being here, and would not consider as not worth the hassle and work involved.

My mate is a landlord, he didn't protect deposit and flat was damaged, result: he had to return deposit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure