We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Need advice on problems at the garage

Comments

• Well I rang my insurers again (Tesco), and asked in more detail, and they still said it would be un-insurable. I told them specifically that i have a Vauxhall Astra 1.6, and this would come from a Vauxhall Meriva 1.6.

They double checked and told me that unless it's an exact replica, from an Astra, then it would be un-insurable.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    stejens wrote: »
    Well I rang my insurers again (Tesco), and asked in more detail, and they still said it would be un-insurable. I told them specifically that i have a Vauxhall Astra 1.6, and this would come from a Vauxhall Meriva 1.6.

They double checked and told me that unless it's an exact replica, from an Astra, then it would be un-insurable.

Frequently, the engines are exactly the same in different models. Difference in power will come from different size turbos and tuning.
  • stejens wrote: »
    Well I rang my insurers again (Tesco), and asked in more detail, and they still said it would be un-insurable. I told them specifically that i have a Vauxhall Astra 1.6, and this would come from a Vauxhall Meriva 1.6.

So you're still not listening. You don't need to contact your insurer if the engine is replaced like-for-like. You need to get the V5 updated with the new engine number, and that is all.

DONE.

SIMPLE.

The spotty 18yo Tesco call centre dweeb will not have this option on their script so they will not know the answer.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    mis-diagnosis by a professional.

Hilarious. You don't get professionals working in garages. Professional means training, exams, honesty, standards, regulation.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    fred246 wrote: »
    Hilarious. You don't get professionals working in garages. Professional means training, exams, honesty, standards, regulation.

Your sweeping brush still needs some work.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

Just because it's from a different type of car doesn't mean that it isn't the exact same engine. It's very common for the exact same engine (even with the same engine code) to be used in different models. You can even sometimes get the exact same engine from a car made by a different manufacturer.

You seem to be ringing up Tesco insurance not understanding this and and they aren't understanding it either and giving you an incorrect answer.

Also BeenThroughItAll makes a good point every time you change a part on the car unless it is genuine vauxhall it will not be exactly the same as the original so you must have rang them up every time you changed the tyres, had it serviced etc?
  • No, I have never rang them up before, but comparing a light bulb or a tyre to a complete engine is ludicrous.
    Sure it may sound legit, but to them for some reason it's not, and I have spoken to two different people.
    So if I go ahead with the job and tell them, I will be uninsured, whether it be because thy are dumb or not does not matter, that will be the case.
    If I don't tell them, great, but then my engine falls out while driving due to the cowboys at the garage, and I go to court for not telling them.

Seems I can't win.
  • stejens wrote: »
    No, I have never rang them up before, but comparing a light bulb or a tyre to a complete engine is ludicrous.
    Sure it may sound legit, but to them for some reason it's not, and I have spoken to two different people.
    So if I go ahead with the job and tell them, I will be uninsured, whether it be because thy are dumb or not does not matter, that will be the case.
    If I don't tell them, great, but then my engine falls out while driving due to the cowboys at the garage, and I go to court for not telling them.

Seems I can't win.

If the engine is replaced like-for-like, you will NOT BE UNINSURED.

What is the answer you want us to give you? If you just tell us what you want to hear, we can all regurgitate it to you so you feel validated and then we can all move on.
  • Tyres are not original, brakes are not original, the oil in the engine is not not original. The fuel in the tank is not original.

Hope you have informed your insurance about these modifications.

Dont forget to erase the stations programmed into the stereo also.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• OP, your insurance is not a problem, listen to what has been said.

Your probelm is the garage. Focus on that.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.