PiP (Care) and Sheltered Housing...

Options
I just thought I'd share what happened....in case people are claiming PiPs (Care Component) and living in Sheltered Housing..

As explained in an earlier thread, I recently went through the DLA to PiP transfer.

I was at the bank and got a mini-statement and realised the amount in my account was less than expected, so went through each item.....there was my last DLA payment....and the 'extra' payment....and there was my PiP - but MUCH less than expected.

A quick check of the figures and I spotted the problem...my mobility was being paid, but not the care component.

So, yet ANOTHER phone call to the DWP....and I discovered that they had simply cancelled my care component without informing me! Apparently they noted that I live in sheltered accommodation and made the assumption that this means I am in a nursing/care home.

They have a contact number for me...one phone call and they would have been told that this place is NOT a care home...or they could have written to me, and I could have sent them proof....or contact the council and they would have stated that this is sheltered housing...I pay all my own bills, I pay rent, I do not have nursing care (no one in this residential block does).

Instead, they simply stop my payments!....and call me cynical, but perhaps they hoped I might not notice what they had done?

Looking online it appears that I am far from alone in this experience...the DWP will make the assumption that sheltered housing or retirement housing is the same as a nursing or care home and simply stop payment of Care PiPs without informing the claimant.

I have been assured that they have rectified the matter, and I will be getting a back payment...but it strikes me as pretty shoddy service!

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    It sounds pretty shoddy to me too . It's something I've never thought of but good of you to highlight this for those in the same situation as yourself . It's fortunate you budget well , but what if you'd gone to take that money out for something urgent ?
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport