IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal - Offer Letter to Settle

Options
13»

Comments

• Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great to hear about the discontinuance, well done! BW Legal are so transparent and pathetically predictable that it's truly embarrassing!

Or it would be but they're so consistent in their incompetence that they must be 'unembarrassable'!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    Options
    Lamilad wrote: »
    Great to hear about the discontinuance, well done! BW Legal are so transparent and pathetically predictable that it's truly embarrassing!

Or it would be but they're so consistent in their incompetence that they must be 'unembarrassable'!

If only they were intelligent enough to even understand ?
    Sadly they are not
  • Lamilad
    edited 19 September 2017 at 8:25PM
    Options
    We have gone through the process of DQ and allocation to my local court etc.
    Sadly, any attempt to claim your costs up to discontinuance is likely to fail due to the above, and CPR 38.6(3)

"This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track."

In order for the court to even consider your costs claim you'd have to make an application and pay the correct fee of £255.

Until recently you could attempt to get round this by writing to/emailing the judge and asking them to issues a costs order, using their own 'discretionary' case management powers.

But it seems the HMCTS have cottoned on to this and issued instructions to the courts informing them that the decision to accept an application via letter/email, rather than the prescribed form (N244) is up to the judiciary but the decision to charge a fee is not. This lies solely with HMCTS - and court staff must collect the correct fee for all relevant applications. :undecided
  • StanHowe
    Options
    Sadly, any attempt to claim your costs up to discontinuance is likely to fail due to the above, and CPR 38.6(3)

In order for the court to even consider your costs claim you'd have to make an application and pay the correct fee of £255.

Until recently you could attempt to get round this by writing to/emailing the judge and asking them to issues a costs order, using their own 'discretionary' case management powers.

But it seems the HMCTS have cottoned on to this and issued instructions to the courts informing them that the decision to accept an application via letter/email, rather than the prescribed form (N244) is up to the judiciary but the decision to charge a fee is not. This lies solely with HMCTS - and court staff must collect the correct fee for all relevant applications. :undecided

Thanks for this, oh well I suppose I cant complain really I haven't had to pay a penny.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    There is no reason why you cannot complain to your MP and the MOJ however. PPCs are abusing the system and using the threat of court to get the gullible to pay up.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

But do we think all local courts have even read that, and isn't it worth trying a letter anyway, Lamilad?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Lamilad
    Options
    But do we think all local courts have even read that, and isn't it worth trying a letter anyway, Lamilad
    Certainly doesn't cost anything to send an email/ letter. I'm not sure any court would not take notice of guidance issued by HMCTS.

I think the op will receive a reply similar to this one:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdp928w4oj852l6/FB_IMG_1505951544195.jpg?dl=0
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting! I still reckon I would try the letter anyway, for the sake of a stamp!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure